Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Went to look at 1979 Brat, worse shape than I thought, bought it anyways

Unfortunately this Brat will not have a good ending, this vehicle is barely holding itself together, nonetheless I bought it for $300 (double scrap value) I offered the guy so it wouldn't go to the junk yard like he was intending to.

I was planning on having 2 Brats running, but it looks like this one will just feed me parts for many years to come, more pictures to come tomorrow.

---backstory on the vehicle---

bought in 1980 as a 1979 model, the original owner would come down from Colorado to visit his family, in the 1990's it broke down in south Texas in a little town called Pleasanton TX (50 min from where I live). not sure how he went back home without it but never came back for it, was left outside for 20+years on the farm. farm sold to new owners 4 years ago, guy posts on facebook, I see the post and go get the vehicle before it ends up at the junkyard.

IMG-2231.jpg

• Like 1

here's the rest of the pictures,

i'll be slowly taking it all apart and eventually just be left with the body, I noticed yesterday afternoon oil cap is missing, so that ain't good for internal components, probably has had the cap off for over 20+ years, oh well.

IMG-2261.jpg

IMG-2260.jpg

IMG-2243.jpg

IMG-2244.jpg

IMG-2239.jpg

IMG-2240.jpg

IMG-2241.jpg

IMG-2248.jpg

IMG-2249.jpg

IMG-2252.jpg

IMG-2253.jpg

IMG-2258.jpg

IMG-2242.jpg

• Like 1

I’m sure you don’t need help but I can’t help myself spouting off what looks like future money or huge smile when you come to need that actual part.

Paid $300 - worth it. I see: taillight(s) , bed trim , windshield - Theres you’re $300 right there. Enjoy !

Just now, moosens said:

Shelf stock ! 

yeah lots of it, the main things i was after were the tail lights, windshield, rotors, and the driver seatbelt, my current one was hanging on by like 6 threads, glad whoever owned this never buckled up lol.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, moosens said:

I’m sure you don’t need help but I can’t help myself spouting off what looks like future money or huge smile when you come to need that actual part.

Paid $300 - worth it. I see: taillight(s) , bed trim , windshield - Theres you’re $300 right there. Enjoy !

i always appreciate your input, you're always so knowledgeable on these older Subaru's.

i was the one that bought that taillight from you on ebay like 6months ago or so.

Edited by Subasaurus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

darn, that is one rusty car.  Aftermarket AC on that rig?  Looks like a YORK compressor (often found on Ford) under the hood.  Must have been in a very moist environment to rust like that.  A west Texas or southern NM vehicle will be rock solid, metal wise, but all the rubbers, plastics and vinyls will be junk.  And the interior will be exploded, as the seat and dash foam disintegrates and the vinyl covers decay.   

Edited by newmexguy
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 11:55 AM, Subasaurus said:

i always appreciate your input, you're always so knowledgeable on these older Subaru's.

i was the one that bought that taillight from you on ebay like 6months ago or so.

Thanks , hopefully I’m correct more than I am with the newer cars. 

Might not have been me if it was the last 6 months or so. I pretty much have stayed away from selling on eBay and in general. When they started to go direct into your account I backed off until I start a separate account for ebay only. 

And Danny from NC has officially “cleaned me out” sort of with my 1970’s stock. I sure do still have some but pretty much going to consider much of it consumables for my future wagon. 

But I’m still kickin ‘ lol 

Once some things blow by I’ll be taking on another 78 4WD wagon. 

Yeah at this point it’s take whatever if there and make the best of it. I’ll be breaking down a similar gen one Brat soon. Up here there simply won’t be any more coming through. The ones I recall seeing and passing on because the owners thought they had some stack of gold there we all POS back then. I can’t imagine how returned to earth they are now. 

Same story for a guy two towns over with his 1974’s. I wish I had pictures. I think one wagon was already up to it’s doors and sinking. Ahh the stories ...

Edited by moosens
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, newmexguy said:

darn, that is one rusty car.  Aftermarket AC on that rig?  Looks like a YORK compressor (often found on Ford) under the hood.  Must have been in a very moist environment to rust like that.  A west Texas or southern NM vehicle will be rock solid, metal wise, but all the rubbers, plastics and vinyls will be junk.  And the interior will be exploded, as the seat and dash foam disintegrates and the vinyl covers decay.   

spent 10+ years is salted roads, and 25+ years in Texas heat, so it's the worst of both worlds, honestly i'm glad it's in this bad of shape so i don't feel bad pulling parts from it.

my baby which is the blue one has been in Texas it's whole life, and the only rust it has is where the drain plug is under the driver seat, but it's pretty much insignificant since the hole is only about 20% larger than what the original rubber plug was from factory.

having them side by side really puts into perspective what salt does to cars, the part that stuns me the most is the tailgate that has a hole and a massive gash across the side like a monster's claw gashed across it, the taillights look like they were replaced right before they abandoned the brat all together.

the passenger front wheel has actually disconnected from the control arm due to the rust, i think it's where the control arm connects to the "frame" of the vehicle, i actually pushed it back into place so it doesn't look so sad.

haven't messed with the brat yet since i got it, gonna wait till weather cools down because it's hitting 105F here daily.

23 hours ago, newmexguy said:

has the "dealer A/C", i had it on my 79 wagon and it took like 20hp from the poor motor, when i got my blue brat, the compressor was locked up, so i gladly deleted it, now that i have this one though, im not sure if i want to put it back on the blue brat, the compressor spins freely on the parts brat, so i'm still trying to figure that one out.

im just confused about the lack of A/C controls inside the cab, i thought the A/C controls were below the radio but above the shifter, but they seem to be non existant on this parts brat, regardless, i still have mine in the blue one.