Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for an '85' or '86' 4wd GL Wagon

Among many questions I have , are you sure you’d rather have the older carb years instead of getting the same body with SPFI ? 

I’ve bought back cars from these situations for like $150. Maybe let them total it but retain it , don’t let them take it. There’s a bottom line value they have to give you , I’m sure you’re aware. Back in the day it really worked out well for me. 

I wish you the best. From what I see you’d do yourself better to just upgrade and still enjoy that body style with a bit more reliability from the fuel injection. 

A dual range five speed 1988 or 89 would be my preference. Best of luck ! 

• Like 1

What Moosens said...

Let them do their song and dance, as long as you get the car back. If you can prove the value of the car is about $3000 - $3500 then that is more $$ in your pocket. Be firm! Don't settle... the insurance companies like to lowball, but hate to have cases drag on. Eventually you will make them submit to your will with the proper proof of your vehicle's worth.

Thanks for the responses. I've never been in this situation before. Haven't been in an auto accident in 62 years.What I am aware of is how insurance companies deal with people who lose their homes to fire and need to replace their appliances. They're told that the appliances were used/old and only given minimal compensation. The insurance company's minions are supposed to pick up my car sometime today. If they won't fix it I'll buy it back and work on it myself.

AS far as a later model goes, one of the main reasons I've stuck with these vintage models is because I can work on them. The only thing I see in a later model is more electrical (computer, fuel injection) stuff that I can't work on and no better fuel mileage. If I had my druthers, I'd have an '84' with timing chain instead of those stinking belts. And lastly, I used to be able to go down to 'You Pull It'1 and have several old Subaru's to get parts from. No more. Just late '90's' and newer. Then there's the head gasket and cracked head problem with the 2.2 and 2.5 engines. What's a mother to do? Punt!

No timing chain on the EA81 either. Just gears (even better!).

The EJ22 is like the modern version of the EA81 - bullet proof if you keep it’s fluid levels where they should be, and that’s easy to do. 

All the best with which ever way you go wth it. I do prefer the boxy shape of the L series ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

9 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Forget the 80's junk. Get at least a 90 to 94 Legacy with the 2.2. They are quite easy to work on and you can get parts for them. Either that or do as I did and forget the Subaru game and get yourself into a vintage GM that you can get parts to maintain. Love my '84 K5 Jimmy. 

GD

Subaru's get more than twice the mileage of the square body Chevy. But there is nothing that feels quite as safe as driving a Tank around

6 hours ago, 6 Star said:

Subaru's get more than twice the mileage of the square body Chevy. But there is nothing that feels quite as safe as driving a Tank around

Not really. I get close to 20 with 35's. It's a 350 HP 5.7 Vortec. Doesn't need much throttle to get around. Plus I have a 33 gallon tank. 

But the real advantages are not being bullied off the road, and parts/service are CHEAP. My commute is 6 miles each way to my shop so fuel economy doesn't really even enter into my daily equation. And when I do go for the hills I don't really care - it cost's what it costs to have fun any not be worried about breaking things I can't replace. That's why I don't wheel my 86 t-cased hatch. It's got a 12 gallon tank, gets HORRIBLE fuel economy pushing 30's with 74 HP (worse than the K5), and if it breaks I'm pretty well screwed for replacement parts. Seriously - pushing big tires with a tiny engine at WOT is a horrible idea - I'm lucky to go 150 miles on the 12 gallon tank in it. I can go all day and night with the K5's 33 gallon tank and I have 23" of ground clearance under my oil pan. Lifted Subaru's get terrible fuel economy - even the new ones. None of them do much better than my Jimmy and they typically about 10" or less of grround clearance even with a lift kit and tires. 

People do it because it looks cool and because they are followers that do what they see others doing. I've been there and done all that more than virtually anyone that regularly posts around this forum. After literally living the automotive repair, performance, and modification scene for 20 years, I've come to a lot of conclusions. One of which is that wheeling Subaru's is an exercise in breaking sh1t and bashing over obstacles with the soft underbelly of your unibody. No thanks. 

GD 

3 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Not really....

Your points are all valid... I'm just partial to classic Subarus.

A lot of people are...

And I'm not part of the "wheeling" club. My cars rarely go off road, only up to the mountains occasionally for snowboarding trips.

To me they are most beautiful mechanically in stock form. The 80's Subies have less techno stuff to go wrong (manual everything) than the 90's Subies. But I agree parts are getting scarce.

I've dabbled with the square body chevies and they are very nice vehicles.

We grew up with my grandfather's 77 Blazer, 4x4 auto... it went everywhere; camping fishing, etc. The power steering was wonderful. We probably should never have sold it as it was all-original... however it had it's tail end in salt water a few too many times loading/unloading our fishing/crabbing boat.

Also had a '75 or '76 (can't remember) Crew Cab - on Standard Cab Frame (about the same as a 'burban frame). It had the granny-low first-gear 4 speed manual with 4x4 transfer case, it was also lifted 4 - 6 inches on suspension blocks with huge tires and had the front locking hubs. It had no Bed at the time so it looked like quite the bob-tail. Ended up selling that as well.

The sound of the SBC was addictive... 

We just had zero space... the big Frankenstein I described above took up about the same real-estate of two classic subarus.

Nobody pulled out in front of either of those vehicles when they saw them coming.

I was partial to them also - they were fun cars. But at some point I had to face the facts that you just can't get any parts. And parts for the GM stuff is getting *better* the more popular they become in the collectible market. The K5 square bodies are already seeing huge increases in value just over the last two years since I bought mine. 

GD

The EA series cars in my opinion are not safe enough to drive as a daily anymore with the type of traffic on the road these days. I never used to think about it until I got rear ended recently in my 88 DL Wagon at a stop by a guy doing about 40 mph.

It shoved the rear storage area up to the back tires and bent the shape of the whole car, none of the doors opened afterword. The drivers seat broke and I flew up and passed out when my head slammed in to the roof. I woke up 2 lanes over and down a side street.

Driving a 4WD Chevrolet Blazer until I figure out what to build next.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Crazyeights said:

The EA series cars in my opinion are not safe enough to drive as a daily anymore with the type of traffic on the road these days. I never used to think about it until I got rear ended recently in my 88 DL Wagon at a stop by a guy doing about 40 mph.

It shoved the rear storage area up to the back tires and bent the shape of the whole car, none of the doors opened afterword. The drivers seat broke and I flew up and passed out when my head slammed in to the roof. I woke up 2 lanes over and down a side street.

Holy Cow... glad you are OK.

I am constantly dumbfounded by the stupidity that I see on the road.

These days I give people tons of room in front of me, that way I have time to react to whatever they decide to do on a whim. And if they are tailgating me, I pretend that they aren't even there. If I'm going too slow for them, they can go around... which they can't wait to do.

I used to be liberal with "the bird" but have stopped doing that after a few road rage incidents... people don't realize that they are doing anything wrong, they see the finger and it lights their fire, instead of thinking, "what did I do wrong?" They have to one-up and it just escalates

The situation was that oncoming traffic was backed up for a mile because of an accident  There was a small break in the traffic where a side road intersected and the guy darted through it. I didn't see him until it was too late and I couldn't stop in time even though I swerved to miss him. I have no idea how long the guy had been waiting to get through the line of traffic to go in the direction I was going.. Had I been a few feet farther up the road he probably would have seen me and stopped in time to avoid the collision. Timing is everything.

And, Crazyeights, I wish more EA82 Subaru owners felt the way you do so more vintage Subaru's would be for sale or in wrecking yards. If I can fix it I'm going to need a front left GL fender, headlight, turn signal and bumper with driving lights. I have a DL fender that will probably work and a radiator but the turn signals between the DL and GL are different. The car was picked up yesterday so I 'spect I won't hear anything for several days. I emailed the insurance company and asked why they didn't just send out an appeaser. Person said they just don't. Guess they're not local.

4 hours ago, 3crows said:

I wish more EA82 Subaru owners felt the way you do so more vintage Subaru's would be for sale or in wrecking yards. If I can fix it I'm going to need a front left GL fender, headlight, turn signal and bumper with driving lights. I have a DL fender that will probably work and a radiator but the turn signals between the DL and GL are different. The car was picked up yesterday so I 'spect I won't hear anything for several days. I emailed the insurance company and asked why they didn't just send out an appeaser. Person said they just don't. Guess they're not local.

Have a lot of parts and a parts wagon, but no enthusiast base around here.   Everyone here seems to be driving a new vehicle, usually a truck.  Maybe they're all rich.   

100_7269.JPG

100_7270.JPG

On 7/19/2021 at 8:30 PM, 3crows said:

Anyone have an '85' or '86' GL wagon, 4wd , 5 speed to sell? I just got hit in the front driver side and I'm feared it's going to be declared a total loss. It's a classic 1986 with only 130K. A terrible loss. Took out the front bumper. left fender and headlight and moved the strut housing in about an inch. The gut's insurance company is supposed to come pick it up tomorrow for cost evaluation. I can't see them agreeing to fix it being it's that old. I'm in La Center WA

If it only moved an inch then take it to a good frame shop. They can pull it back out and fix the damage to the uni body. Then just replace the sheet metal.

16 hours ago, 3crows said:

The situation was that oncoming traffic was backed up for a mile because of an accident  There was a small break in the traffic where a side road intersected and the guy darted through it. I didn't see him until it was too late and I couldn't stop in time even though I swerved to miss him. I have no idea how long the guy had been waiting to get through the line of traffic to go in the direction I was going.. Had I been a few feet farther up the road he probably would have seen me and stopped in time to avoid the collision. Timing is everything.

Ah, that's too bad... sometimes its just the hand you are dealt. Have been in those situations before and it's like all you can do is throw your hands in the air... thank you God for this Glorious Test.

12 hours ago, newmexguy said:

Have a lot of parts and a parts wagon, but no enthusiast base around here.   Everyone here seems to be driving a new vehicle, usually a truck.  Maybe they're all rich.   

When I traveled to Vegas I noticed the same thing... no old cars on the road. Literally every car I saw was a modern Booger Car.

9 hours ago, 3crows said:

You don't have to be rich, you just have to be able to afford the monthly payments: like buying a house, except a house is going to appreciate over time.

Exactly what I was seeing on the above mentioned trip to Vegas... the Bank owns everything.

On 7/23/2021 at 11:12 PM, 3crows said:

You don't have to be rich, you just have to be able to afford the monthly payments: like buying a house, except a house is going to appreciate over time.

Lack of payments and the ability to fix most (or all) things yourself is a big reason for the old car habit..Man, is it hard to break!

On 7/20/2021 at 11:27 AM, 3crows said:

AS far as a later model goes, one of the main reasons I've stuck with these vintage models is because I can work on them. The only thing I see in a later model is more electrical (computer, fuel injection) stuff that I can't work on and no better fuel mileage. If I had my druthers, I'd have an '84' with timing chain instead of those stinking belts. And lastly, I used to be able to go down to 'You Pull It'1 and have several old Subaru's to get parts from. No more. Just late '90's' and newer. Then there's the head gasket and cracked head problem with the 2.2 and 2.5 engines. What's a mother to do? Punt!

Same problem in "Subaru Country". They just aren't in the JY anymore at any real frequency. That said, the internet has probably kept these cars alive. When I did my recent timing belt/water pump/radiator job (thanks to this forum :) ), I bought parts for literally pennies on the dollar compared to locally. They're so cheap, it was "worth the try".

On 7/20/2021 at 11:06 PM, GeneralDisorder said:

get yourself into a vintage GM that you can get parts to maintain. Love my '84 K5 Jimmy. 

GD

This is so true..You can get ANY part for most old GM's from pretty much any restoration catalog. People willing to do their own work and parts availability basically means you can keep it forever. I understand Subaru not making parts in perpetuity, but don't people put Subaru engines in VW's and planes? It's not like there is no market at all.

On 7/22/2021 at 9:12 PM, Crazyeights said:

Driving a 4WD Chevrolet Blazer until I figure out what to build next.

This isn't really an apples to apples comparison. I'd take my old Subaru wagon over the equivalent modern day econobox any day- Prius, Sentra, Aveo, or whatever it is. The fact that your car could possibly be fixed says something about how it was built. Today's equivalent cars would already be junked. You sure something else wasn't going on with your seat? Seats are still bolted to the floorboards in even modern stuff. In the past when they were there, I saw vintage Subarus in the junk yard that took massive hits in the rear but the seats didn't come out of the floor...?

Edited by subaru1988

They do put them in planes. I just built an engine for an Autogyro. And sad to say I bought the last full set of plastic timing sprockets in the US for the EJ25D heads it's using (with EJ257 short block). Even the airplane guys and the VW guys are unable to get parts. It's a wasteland out there for any Subaru more than 20 years old. 

If you want old stuff then GM/Ford is the only option (and Ford isn't any option I would consider). 

The current state of consumer products, right to repair legislation, and intellectual property laws clearly make it impossible for me to find any logic in owning anything made in the last 15-20 years. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I have an appreciation for most all vintage vehicles. Some people are strictly Chevy or only Ford, I see the beauty in them both.

Old Volkswagens are nice too.

I was almost hit just yesterday in my mother's Volkswagen. My mother was in the car with me too. I was simply driving out of my parent's driveway (which is on a side street, 25mph limit) and turned onto the road, started to build up speed.

Suddenly I see a modern Toyota Booger SUV flying up in my Rear View mirror.

Coming down the road, opposite direction from me, was a Mail-Truck, doing their job.

The SUV puts their left indicator on... they want to pass me, I'm almost doing the limit at this point. They are doing at least double.

I decided to be a road hog and blocked the Middle of the road. They had to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting the back of our car.

In the rearview I see them throwing their hands up and complaining... its a little old lady driving the Booger car for crying out loud!

I motion out the window, "slow down".

They imitate my motion, not sure why... and continued to Ride my bumper the whole way down the street.

Where the heck did they even plan on going? If they had tried to cut me off they probably would have either clipped me or the mail truck in the process...

I emphasize again... people drive like f#@k-tards...

Today:

I'm in the Volkswagen again, with my mom again. We are traveling down a two-lane highway (one lane each direction) 35mph limit.

We are stopped at a traffic light with one van behind us. The light turns green and we go, building up speed.

In the left mirror I see two cars flying up at freeway speed. They pass us like we are standing still, in the oncoming lane.

After they pass, I recognize the two cars as riced-out 8th gen Accords. Lowered and rattle-canned.

My mom says, "Jesus..."

I go, "Yeah, they are probably going to crash..."

We see a cloud of smoke, a quarter mile up the road from us, only a few seconds later... "Did they have to hit the skidders?"

There was some construction going on up the road, new blacktop meeting old, and it was unfinished, leaving a nice speed bump... one of the lowered ricecars hit the bump at speed and they lost their oil pan.

They left an oil slick for several hundred feet, and then turned around back the way they had come. They had no oil left at that point, which was why their car was smoking so bad as it went past us.

They got what they deserved... and their dumb rump roasts were trying to drive back... they weren't going to make it even close...

You can do everything right, and some pleb (simpleton) can still mess it up for you. Luckily I dodged two bullets two days in a row.

• Like 1

^ yep. It’s pretty sad state now many seem to believe it’s their right to have licence or drive like they’re the only ones in a race on the frog and toad.

Driving is a privilege not a right, many forget this these days along with the actual skill of driving... 

I still love my old vehicles and will drive them for as long as possible.

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

I like to say Jesus come quickly!  I know that he’s going to return in his time. 

Yeah the world is coming to a VERY sad state of affairs.

It has been 6 years now since I was seeing DEAD PEOPLE literally every day. Then I had a stroke. That got me out of the morgue, almost put me on a table there in the process.  God wasn’t done with me yet here on this plain. I know that through this process I have been an inspiration to many other people. I say well this is just another bump in the road and I carry on with what needs to be done. I’m able to do quite a bit with only one good hand. I’m not driving YET, I think that has been the biggest thing I miss between that going basically NO where by myself.  

Any who I’m glad to still be here for this and that. I’m looking forward to being able to walk again with little to no assistance. I’ve come a long way from where I was after I got out of rehab (couldn’t wipe my own rump roast)  to now where I don’t need hardly any help at all.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1