Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 gl wagon

It's in New Mexico,I'm stuck in South Florida caring for my last eldery parent who's been very sick, Unfortunately have to sell my wagon,hate to do so the old 4x4,s getting real hard to find.  It fires right up runs til temp and then cuts off ,sits then fires right back.up, someone said temp coolant switch?...

12 hours ago, lrgvanman said:

Those don't have points. I have one and it has a Hitachi disty. Maybe it's the ECM in the distributor getting hot and breaking down. 

Common problem that one. Tricky if you don’t know what to look for. The symptoms make sense as this being the issue. It’s a relatively easy fix once you’ve got the part.

Cheers 

Bennie

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 9:12 AM, el_freddo said:

Common problem that one. Tricky if you don’t know what to look for. The symptoms make sense as this being the issue. It’s a relatively easy fix once you’ve got the part.

Cheers 

Bennie

The ignition control module, in the distributor, has a condenser. The 1984 GL does not have points.    Could the condenser go bad and cause the problem mentioned?

This is the item that dies with heat in the dizzy: 

tridon-106296-tim004-1.jpg

I don’t know if they run a condenser with the electronic module.

Your intermittent issue with the engine at or near running temp points t this module being the issue. It’s probably the original unit in there!

If you ever get a sudden shutdown and no start issue, replace the coil for NEW and then replace this module. When this shutdown and no start issue occurs, the coil dies taking out the ignition module with it. I found out the hard way and killed a brand new module before I learned about the dead coil killing the module too... that wasn’t fun.

Cheers 

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...