Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Geez we’re not on the clock being paid for giving advice!

I wouldn’t stress so much over roller rockers compared to lifter arms and push rods etc. But that’s just me. I’m sure (hope) someone might chime in on this considering your sarcasm/arrogance as a new forum member of 17hrs at the time of writing this!

All the best,

Cheers 

Bennie

11 hours ago, el_freddo said:

I’m sure (hope) someone might chime in on this considering your sarcasm/arrogance as a new forum member of 17hrs at the time of writing this!

I think you jumped to a possibly-unwarranted conclusion there.  I didn't read it as either sarcasm or arrogance.

Could just as easily have been a sincere thank-you he felt he neglected in his first post.  So I'd suggest lightening up a bit and giving a new member the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, el_freddo said:

Also, any further info on what engine or vehicle model you’re talking about? My previous post was thinking along the lines of you having a SOHC NA with roller rockers.

Cheers 

Bennie

Don’t know about the OP. 

I’ll be working on a 91 Loyale with a push button 4x4 replacing the clutch at the same time. 
I THINK I have the SOHC not really sure though. The heads have been surfaced I just need to finish cleaning up the block and put back together. I think it’s been apart for 10 or 11 years. I have pieces all over the front of the garage. 

On 7/22/2021 at 10:01 AM, el_freddo said:

I wouldn’t stress so much over roller rockers compared to lifter arms and push rods etc. But that’s just me. I’m sure (hope) someone might chime in on this considering your sarcasm/arrogance as a new forum member of 17hrs at the time of writing this!

All the best,

Cheers 

Bennie

At the time I sent out the thank you it had over 50 views. But, to answer your other question, it's a FB25 engine from 2013.

10 hours ago, Triox64 said:

At the time I sent out the thank you it had over 50 views. But, to answer your other question, it's a FB25 engine from 2013.

With such a generic thread title, most people are going to look - does not mean they are able to answer the question posed, however.

I was one of those views - and could not answer you if I wanted to. Have never dealt with that myself, so...

Maybe in the future, be a little more specific with the title?

On 7/23/2021 at 7:05 AM, Triox64 said:

You can juggle them all you want but since the shims on those engines are TINY and must go back on the correct valve you best measure everything if any of those got mixed up. Best to measure all the lash and adjust any shims that need it anyway. 

GD

21 hours ago, heartless said:

With such a generic thread title, most people are going to look - does not mean they are able to answer the question posed, however.

I was one of those views - and could not answer you if I wanted to. Have never dealt with that myself, so...

Maybe in the future, be a little more specific with the title?

You're probably right on the title. I'm just a little stressed out, as it's primary means of income. And, I haven't found anything relating to it my issue over several platforms, somehow.

59 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

You can juggle them all you want but since the shims on those engines are TINY and must go back on the correct valve you best measure everything if any of those got mixed up. Best to measure all the lash and adjust any shims that need it anyway. 

GD

Thanks... So, I'm gonna need a micrometer, I take it?.. Wasn't sure how critical it was, just knew the required clearance.

On 7/23/2021 at 11:11 AM, jonathan909 said:

I think you jumped to a possibly-unwarranted conclusion there.  I didn't read it as either sarcasm or arrogance.

Yeah maybe. But when someone jumps on a forum and expect a quick response like it’s Facebook the second post comes across as ungrateful/arrogant/sarcastic to me (like a pissed off student that doesn’t get their way) - considering they haven’t taken the time to give us any detailed info to work with and a generic title. Kind of giving nothing, and wants what they want yesterday! I’ve seen it time and time again - only to never log in again.

@Triox64 - no hard feelings mate. Good to see you’re back and I hope to read more threads and posts of yours in the future. Stress does weird things to us at times. When posting please try to include all relevant details for forum members to help you out the best we can. Many of us are backyarders. GD knows his stuff through his workshop knowledge, he’s like a FSM of all models rolled into one!

All the best with those shims. A micrometer may be needed (shims should be labelled though) as would a set of feeler gauges. Try looking for an online FSM to read the procedure. If starting from scratch I think the procedure would be: pre-pull down take all your gap measurements, write them down for each valve then pull apart.

After this, some maths to work out what shims are needed to get the desired gap. Refit with shim changes, remeasure and pull apart, repeat if necessary until gaps are within spec.

Cheers 

Bennie

The shims are labeled. It's etched into the side of them. You check lash with feeler gauges and then you order different shims if any of them need adjustment. The shims are REALLY small though. As in you'll easily lose them if you drop one. Think of a disc about 1/4" in diameter and a few 16th's thick.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

On 7/25/2021 at 12:03 AM, GeneralDisorder said:

The shims are labeled. It's etched into the side of them. You check lash with feeler gauges and then you order different shims if any of them need adjustment. The shims are REALLY small though. As in you'll easily lose them if you drop one. Think of a disc about 1/4" in diameter and a few 16th's thick.

GD

I got most of that stuff figured out. Was mostly interested in the difference between the rocker arms, considering the markings. 

• Like 1

Download the factory service manual (available on many sites) and you'll have full procedures and specifications.

I haven't worked on an FB25, but the EJs were always 0.010" on the intakes and 0.012" on the exhausts IIRC.