Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Couple Q’s about EGR and 2000-04 Legacy 2.5

Are the EGR cars of that generation only as of 2003 models ? To me it seems they had no EGR at the start of that generation but added it in 2003. Yes ? 

Can I take a non EGR engine and  easily drill and tap the EGR in ? 

Or can I use the non EGR engine and also swap the computer and harness ? 

There’s a 124k 2000 or 2001 wagon that is needing a front clip but I’d rather not do all that work and just use that engine in my 2003. 

Yes you can drill and tap the hole for the EGR pipe. We do it all the time. Use a 1/4" bit to drill into the exhaust port, and then you will need to drill/tap the threads for the pipe. It's a large bit and a large metric tap. Be careful and measure as you go. Mark your bit with tape to ensure you don't go too deep. Tighten down the tube fitting a little at a time as you rotate the pipe to seat in the bubble flare to the newly drilled hole for a good seal. 

You will also have to install the block mounted PCV valve into the 00/01 engine's vent hose. I just round off the edges of the hex on the 03 style PCV valve (get a new one from Subaru), and RTV/clamp it into the vent hose (get a new one of those also) from the block breather port. 

GD

• Thanks 1

Man that Allen head plug sits right above the port I’ll be making. Why couldn’t it be that easy ? LOL faaaack ! 

Closer now. Took the intake off today , have it all free and the crane/hoist over it with a spreader bar ready to lift. I’ll have a buddy with me or my daughter and then proceed. 

Edited by moosens
Wrong

Use to pull them with the forklift at work.  I could hold the engine an reach the controls with my raised leg to raise and lower the engine.  

Not ideal, but if no one was available to operate the forklift it worked.  Those days are long gone, but were good ones.

• Haha 1

since you have intake off, make sure you check that metal pipe that runs to heater hose over REAL well... sits on drivers side...

make sure there is zero rust anywhere on it... if there is rust, i would recommend replacing now vs having to take it all apart again later

my 02 had a leak due to rust right where the smaller tube joined that goes to the throttle body

• Like 1

Good call. Indeed I did replace the same tube in my 2.2 just a couple years ago it seems but probably 5+ lol

Slow day. Not much time today either but I do have the exhaust out of the way , jack under tranny , all set but having trouble splitting them apart.

Done plenty of EA’s and an EJ22 or so but this one seems awful sticky. 

How many nuts or bolts are there into the bell housing ? 

I see one more way the heck at the bottom. I think I’ve already removed 6 or so. 

I’m going to bail out at this point and get more rest etc. Have it all settled back down. Will conquer this tomorrow. 

Next question on the horizon is do you folks use anything special for hanging these on a common engine stand ? I recall the 2.2 needing long bolts and I think I used a bunch of washers as spacers. Yeah it’s a hack affair sometimes. Thanks. 

Small step forward but that’s life lately. Engine out. Didn’t see that one nut hiding. Once done she split like a dream. Minimal effort with flat blades and chisel. Boring stuff I know. 

But man this sucks that they didn’t put a plug where that EGR apparently needs to sit. 

So I’ll be scoring that tap with at least one drill. I’m sure I have plenty to use for a pilot drill. 

GD if you’re checking in I’m guessing a good prick punch to start a healthy center ? 

And all drills will have tape on them as deep as the fitting it with maybe a 1/16” ease. 

6352E0E4-4532-4665-A122-FF5E146DC54C.jpeg.4a9b9cfffef0b2987f2bccba54aa0194.jpeg

On 8/10/2021 at 8:45 PM, moosens said:

Small step forward but that’s life lately. Engine out. Didn’t see that one nut hiding. Once done she split like a dream. Minimal effort with flat blades and chisel. Boring stuff I know. 

But man this sucks that they didn’t put a plug where that EGR apparently needs to sit. 

So I’ll be scoring that tap with at least one drill. I’m sure I have plenty to use for a pilot drill. 

GD if you’re checking in I’m guessing a good prick punch to start a healthy center ? 

And all drills will have tape on them as deep as the fitting it with maybe a 1/16” ease. 

Here's some nice pictures including someone who drilled too far and hit a coolant jacket: 

You're swapping engines right - peak at the head with EGR to get a feel for depth and what the final product looks like.  

10 hours ago, heartless said:

i do hope you plan on doing the headgaskets on that while it is out..

that line of oily sludge going up the joint is just screaming for attention. :(

If you do headgaskets and trust the other head, you could also swap the EGR head from the original engine onto the donor and avoid the drilling/tap. 

Good info, of course from you.

I’m considering acquiring some small lot of engines, a transmission, and rear subframe and diff, etc for cheap. Just a side thing I really don’t need and am probably wasting time on but I’ll have a better, shelf stock for my ongoing projects I foresee. Mostly based around the early 2.2 

As for this current swap I’m just a bit slow from being pulled in various directions. But I passed a little time there tonight mostly bone picking. Going forward my plan is to keep myself and daughter in 2000-2004 era cars. But we also still retain our beloved 1994 Outdoor Sports edition Legacy wagon. Anyways ..... I like my old stuff. 

Will take pics of the underside like I should have tonight. This car is pretty sweet for up here. A little exploration while under the car removing the rear bumper and I see the place the drains from the moonroof(s) empty out. Very cute. 

Ok happy reading all and I’ll have better , way more cool stuff for ya really soon. 

• 4 weeks later...