Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Couple Q’s about EGR and 2000-04 Legacy 2.5

Having to move seems to be the current theme going on. Our landlords want us to move out so we were given our standard 60 day notice out of the blue. Not good and totally unexpected. 

So I’m frantically putting one of the projects together so it’s back on all four wheels so we can easily move it! 

Hopefully finding a suitable place to live won’t be as difficult or as expensive as over here; all housing, whether buying or renting went nuts with the prices skyrocketing just after the pandemic started! 

All the best, and good work on the engine install. I’m looking forward to reading about a successful start and no leaks etc! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo
  • Like 1

Thanks ! I’m ok for living space. In fact it’s also part of the issue. We own a condo unit in a high rise so I have no garage , attic , driveway , basement, etc. and pay for storage. Storage just shot up $ ! 

But this is my mom’s side , her parents house. Many great memories. And it looks like I’ll be the last one of the family to make use of the property. 

Now I just need a lower radiator hose and to button up a few things. 

The ground cable that comes from the battery and goes to the starter and has that little metal locator bracket - does that bolt in with the starter top bolt , bottom bolt , or ? Historically they’re in the starter with the upper bolt, my old brain believes. 

History repeats , 
thanks guys ! 

And the ground wire/cable from the firewall that attaches to the steel cover over the fuel injectors or to the block ? I have that one on the block now but it doesn’t look right and I think a small bracket goes where I current have that cable landing. 

When I can I take pictures of the 2003 sedan sitting at my dads. But that car is in process of a sale and has to sit there for now. Wish I could drive it down to where I’m working and have it for reference. 

The EA’s and the early EJ22 I know very well. This gen is new to me. Still finding my way with the later model peripherals. Air boxes that need supports , stuff like that I just need to be more contemporary with. Where each bracket goes. Never had these before. 

Oh that would be great idea if it weren’t for the dealers and yards being difficult and not wanting much to do with 20 year old cars. Northeast is a tricky spot that way. 

I have to drive about 40 minutes to get to a yard I can walk around. 

But thanks Larry. And it’s about 30 min to the red sedan. All ok for now. Started right up! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, moosens said:

Thanks and best of luck with your three vehicles. 

First few miles and all is well. 

Thanks! Outback is already back in our possession - now to get the truck done, and decide what to do with my Foz...

going to look at a possible replacement this morning.

• Like 1

And just like that some issue I’ll need to inspect tomorrow. Wanted to make a local run and the car began running badly and check engine blah blah blah

First thought is I admit I was quite sloppy with my exhaust. After the Y pipe that flange with the donut - I should have snugged that up but rushed like a knucklehead. It drove to work and around two towns or so. Maybe have loosened that exhaust joint a bit more as the loudness increased. Thought I’d get it over to a local cheapie exhaust shop and have them snug it or even replace with my near new sections I took from that parts car. These fellows are easy to work with and get you by without killing your wallet. 

Hoping that’s all or maybe a plug wire popped off. 

Could that second O2 sensor maybe have rattled and yanked its wire? Tune in next time. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wow I suck sometimes. Or maybe the two nuts just worked their way off because I didn’t tighten them. But yeah , front leak not behind the Y or at least this one is quite obvious. 

Should have it buttoned up later today or very soon. 

Was mostly a decent job this engine swap. But the crap with being a bit rushed at the end just bit me in the tail. As life goes. Focus ! We all do our best. Should have gone around twice or more checking things over. 

• 2 weeks later...

So here’s where it’s at with this puppy. After tightening the front exhaust the next one back the donut flange seems ok enough too. 

But I’m getting the Check Engine light , first solid then maybe after some time it’ll start flashing. 

Read my manual , after checking the fuel filler cap and the usual culprits I decided to drive it as the owners manual says it may take several driving’s to clear it out. 

Drives ok , a little choppy at idle but does what it needs to for highway and city driving. It’s a five speed so a little easier to manage. 

Went to AutoZone and the young lady read the OBD2 and then trying two computers inside still could not get their device to synch or whatever so I abandoned that having made contact with my brother who will be loaning his reader/etc to me. 

Going to treat it like any older Subaru and just keep running it unless it truly coughs and wheezes. 

Edited by moosens

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ok folks , just to wrap up this episode here we go ...

Got this donor engine installed as you can see , Heartless was right and I should have just done the headgaskets when it was out but I plead lack of time and a half dozen other reasons/excuses. 

So after short time the HG’s were really really weeping and now began the internal issues. Caught it right away but yeah the coolant , the oil , the drama , the suspense, blah blah blah . Sent car to Subafreak for the HG’s and car came back great. Then a couple days go by and I’m getting a code , check engine in then sometimes flashing , fear sets in. 

After having not much time at all to tinker an opportunity came up yesterday to drive that car back up to Subafreak and in very little time it was discovered that the #3 injector wire was not clicked down. Bingo ! Car is a dream now. 

I had my nose over that and every other connection and hose and whatnot but do you think I tugged on them ? The answer is now obvious. 

Reminds me of the glass fuses on the old schoolers. They can look like there’s nothing wrong , but tug on the metal ends and find one has divorced. 

That’s it kids. Just concluding. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1