Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water Pump DEAD! How much 2 repair?

Hi ALL!

The battle of keeping, not keeping my '92 Loyale, 5 spd wgn goes on. It has 209K miles on it now! It's been using green stuff latetly, running warm on long hills. I replaced the Thermostat, that really didn't do anything. While I was in there I did notice that the Anti was clean. I have NO bubbling in my overflow tank. Just as I pulled in my driveway I get a Green stream, it's leaking (as your standing in front of the car) kinda of in the middle, right of the engine. Were the pump lives I guess. SOooooo what is the going price? Or maybe just the hours it would take for a real mechanic to do?

Many thanks again, SuneeTEd

well there's a place out here just a couple minutes away from me that rebuild waterpumps, starters, alternators, etc and I picked up a waterpump for my '78 Brat for 16 bucks and one for my wagon for 19 bucks. If ya lived here, you might be able to get one for about 25 bucks. A remand. pump will run you about 40 bucks I believe and it is not that hard to put on if I remember. You'll have to pull the alternator and the belts off to get to it, pull the radiator, and its a few 10mm bolts I believe. I'm not an EA82 expert but I have done some work on them and one was a waterpump. It took me about 1-2 hours if that.

I've heard of a couple maybes... a head gasket could be leaky and exhaust could be getting in your water, heating it up.:-\ Maybe your radiator needs to be cleaned or replaced?

If you suspect the gasket do a compression check.

If it is your water pump, take the belt off and see if there is a lot of play in the shaft of the pump by moving the pulley in different directions. It will move slightly, like micrometers, normally, but if it moves too much it is dead. Or check the weeper holes a little bit after you run it, if they are dripping...probably dead.

Keep us informed on your progress.

Hi ALL!

The battle of keeping, not keeping my '92 Loyale, 5 spd wgn goes on. It has 209K miles on it now! It's been using green stuff latetly, running warm on long hills. I replaced the Thermostat, that really didn't do anything. While I was in there I did notice that the Anti was clean. I have NO bubbling in my overflow tank. Just as I pulled in my driveway I get a Green stream, it's leaking (as your standing in front of the car) kinda of in the middle, right of the engine. Were the pump lives I guess. SOooooo what is the going price? Or maybe just the hours it would take for a real mechanic to do?

Many thanks again, SuneeTEd

I recently went through the same thing with my Twagon.. pulled into the drive smelling coolant, only to see a big puddle under the car.. started it up and looked to see it was coming from the pump.

They are pretty easy. Can be done without pulling the radiator. Took me about an hour.. and I'm a little on the slow side..(However, I have done it a few times before)

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced my water pump after it started to leak. There was some play on the shaft.

This is the main event if you replace it yourself. Give yourself a full day to do the job. The dealer wanted about $300 to do it for me. I did it but gosh what a job. The pump is down low inside the timing belt cover. Needless to say you have to remove a few items to get there.

GOOD LUCK!