Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tires for 2000 Outback Wagon

It will soon be time to replace the Firestone Wilderness tires that came with my Outback. The Wilderness tires handled well and lasted for about 65,000 miles.

I need some sugggestion concerning replacement tires. I'll probably keep the car for another 50 or 60 thousand miles. I'm in New England and snow performance is important.

My local Town Fair Tire store has recomended Mastercraft Avenger LSR tires (H rated).

Any suggestions?

thanks....ralph

On my 97 OBW I replaced the OEM Michelins with Michelin X Ones (aka X Plus) and replaced them (with 60,000 miles on them and still plenty of tread) with Michelin HydroEdge.

Hands-down the best passenger car tire I've ever owned. Not the cheapest but are very good in snow, phenomenal in rain. They'll be over $500 mounted and balanced at NTB or the like, and worth every penny. The 16's on yours may be more.

The Mastercraft Avenger LSR in the P225/60R16 is rated:

98H 420AA. Also, it appears to be made for Town Fair Tire (a very large chain) as they are the only CT dealers on the Mastercraft dealer list.

Cooper makes a good tire for the price. What are the LSR's UTQG ratings and how do they compare to the other suggestions you've been getting?

OK. Compare the UTQG numbers to the other tires you're looking at along with the price. MasterCraft is a Cooper private brand. Most Mastercraft dealers won't also sell the Cooper branded line. That tire was'nt made just for your dealer.

Treadwear, as you related, is 420 or 4.2 times better than the control tire used by the government to evaluate all tires. Other tires may get higher ratings (longer wear) but not the traction of a softer tread compound.

Look for a snowflake emblem or a M/S symbol to see if the tire is a mud//snow traction approved if you need winter traction. Note if it is, it's still not a snow tire, just an All Season trad design.

Traction (dry) is A. AA is the only rating better, and temperature, or the ability to resist heat build up, is rated at the highest level, A.

There are better tires out there, but you're going to pay a lot. If you had a Porsche, I'd say spend more, but hell, were driving Subarus and you've got a station wagon to boot.

I've run Cooper Corbra H rated tires as well as tires made by them under other brand names. I was happy based on the price I paid. I've also been happy with my Goodyear Regatta II's, but there are not a performance tire. Check out the prices of the new Goodyear Triple Tread. Based on the very positive reviews I've gotten, these are what I'll be gettting when the current ones wear out.

Good luck. There's nothing wrong with an H rated Cooper tire.

I am using Bridgestone Turanza LSTs on my 2000 Forester (P205/70R15). They worked GREAT this past winter. No problems !

My wife's Camry LE V6 is using Firestone Affinty LH30s (P205/65R15) and they were fine too.

I had Cooper tires on another car in the form of a Pep Boys Futura tire. They were OK. If you want to hold down cost and you're on a budget, the Futura line is fine. These were on my wife's old Camry and she kept picking up nails. Pep Boys is within walking distance of my home so it was easy getting them repaired under the road hazzard warranty.

Cooper BTW is the largest producer of private brand (store) tires.

Whatever you purchase I strongly suggest getting the road hazzard warranty. It's extra but worth every penny.

~Howard

:cool: