Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Brat/Brumby Engine Surging/Bucking when hot

I have a problem with my Brumby. I've had 5 competent mechanics look at the engine and none have been able to resolve the issue.

During summer, if the engine is started from cold the engine will drive for minutes or hours without issues. However, when the engine has reached it's operating temperature and then the engine is turned off and then back on again, say minutes later (as one does when filling petrol etc. ) the engine will start to buck, that is it loses power and restores power every 5-10 seconds.

Fuel lines have been checked, fuel filters changed all to no avail, which makes sense as the car drives normally from cold.

Has anyone experienced such a problem or knows what the problem may be? 

18 hours ago, wolp said:

the engine will start to buck, that is it loses power and restores power every 5-10 seconds.

Sounds more like an electrical problem to me.  Wires or connections are expanding when warm and losing connection or ground.  May need to jiggle wiring harnesses when cold to see if problem re-occurs.

Hello Dee2,

I don't know why but i didn't get a notification that you left a message.

I agree with you. it does sound like an electrical problem. It's so tight under the hood that i don't know where to start yet. I've got myself a service manual and will be familiarising myself soon and hopefully get to the problem. Thanks. John