Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Would like confidence in using Jack stands under my 2000-04 Legacy

I can't tell where you've got it in the front, but that's pretty easy, big ol' frame rail behind the rear control arm mount.

That works in the rear, although might bend that stamped steel arm, and the jack stand is kind of in the way.

On my rusty 2000, I usually put them on the trailing arm right up against the bushing where it meets the body. On the later ones (I'm not sure the exact cutoff, but our '04 Outbacks definitely have them), there's a brace on the bottom of that going forward to the diff mount bracket (?) that's fabulous for jack stands.

3 hours ago, Dinky26 said:

Like the 80’s boom box in the back ground!

Is it for sale :P :D

That radio has a story , of course. 

So one day some local bigwig got permission from the FCC to put up a radio station and its towers across the street from us - roughly. The transmission from that station would naturally blur over many other stations , pretty much all of them excepting the local high watt news/BS station. 

Ok here’s the tickler. You could even hear that station in an appliance !!! Yes , we all went over to Uncle Gus’ place so we could witness the radio coming from the fridge!! True story. I’m sure there’s similar out there. 

So , that radio you see was the station’s hush up gift to various neighbors who complained.

Enjoy ! 

• Like 2

On 8/23/2021 at 5:08 PM, lmdew said:

Can always cut a slot in a block of wood and put it where the car jack goes on the body.

I got some slotted polyurethane pucks on Amazon that allow me to use the lift points for the OEM scissors jack; the slot allows the pressure to spread to the body and protects the pinch welds.  I like having the jack stands as wide as possible for stability, and feel much more comfortable using this method.

I also got a slotted puck for my floor jack to protect the lift points, and occasionally use it on the scissors jack lift points if necessary.

By the way, I found a long-reach floor jack at a reasonable price - it makes it easy to use the recommended lift points.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ronemus said:

I got some slotted polyurethane pucks on Amazon that allow me to use the lift points for the OEM scissors jack; the slot allows the pressure to spread to the body and protects the pinch welds.  I like having the jack stands as wide as possible for stability, and feel much more comfortable using this method.

I also got a slotted puck for my floor jack to protect the lift points, and occasionally use it on the scissors jack lift points if necessary.

By the way, I found a long-reach floor jack at a reasonable price - it makes it easy to use the recommended lift points.

Your profile says you live in Wisconsin, but then you mention lifting by the rocker panel.

I'm guessing your cars are less than....8 years old? :P

Even on our '04, which I removed the rocker molding at 130k miles, the rockers are not safe to support the weight of the car. My 350k mile 2000 doesn't have rockers at all....

Yea, those are nice on a solid car, but if you live in the rust belt, be very careful!

• Like 1