Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Removal tips ? Automatic 2000 Legacy wagon

Have it all disconnected, axles , prop shaft , link cable , but at the end of my time to play I got a little stuck going at it my way and just let it rest back down die the night. You guys can come to the rescue. 

As it was I had the crane/hoist on it using the pitching stopper bracket I think it is. I had gone die the small ring at the rear of that bracket. It sure did flex a lot once I struggled a bit and shook the tranny around looking for a free-up spot to continue hoisting. But I also noticed it’s too tight to get the tranny through the crossmember going forward. Things get right that was. My though was maybe if I removed that bracket it would allow for raising the tranny just enough. But I’m not sure how I’m going to shackle it up. 

Please don’t tell me I’ve got to lower the main crossmember. 

Goes out towards the rear ? I’ve got a floor jack doing its job now. Just hate to handle the mass this way. The car is up on jackstands as seen in another thread. And I’m guessing if it goes out rearward then I’m going to likely have to get the axles completely off and out of the way. 

Going to add a pic if it works. The small tranny crossmember ended up coming off easy but the mount was just crap. So it’s actually bare now , no tail crossmember or mount. 

6C73D757-26AA-4110-A686-9DD7617A2237.jpeg.bcf81d52e11e2ad67db5ee20f6e6a41d.jpeg

Harbor Freight used to sell a low-profile transmission jack that you would operate with a 1/2" ratchet. Back before I owned a shop and had to do this on jack stands I used this jack to remove transmissions. 

I would use 6 ton jack stands and get the car high..... HIGH like Giraffe pu$$y. Needed the height to pull the trans out with the jack attached. 

Be careful - the trans weighs a lot and you want a jack holding it not your body. I've done that and it's definitely for when you are young, broke, and stupid. 

GD 

I see you have wood blocks to spread the weight across the trans pan, but even with that it's possible to dent the pan.  It only take a little to restrict the flow of fluid into the pickup.  Yes the trans are heavy as heck!   I've always had to remove the trans from the jack and then roll it over a bit to get it to slide out from under the car on jack stands.  Same going back in.  It's a heavy lift under the car to get the trans up onto the jack pad.  Sends you to the Doctor to get the back fixed.  1+ on GD last comment!

Oh I couldn’t agree more with both of you. 

Many calendars have passed so I’m not wanting to wrestle anything like this little monster. 
Another one of those things I should have just let this transmission go with the car to scrap. But since I have two automatic drivers here I figured I’d offer it up to cover expenses or it’ll be stock for that moment needed. We are in process of getting an automatic 2003 sedan for my daughter, low miles but still old and being an automatic my old school mentality believes no automatic is secure at this age. 

As for jack stands I think I may have a heavy duty set I loaned to my friend. But yes I do recall even the older models needing to raised well to hank that nugget out from under the car. 

Really lucky to have space and time for once. But yeah I’m too old to do things like this with extreme caution and with whatever equipment assists. And yes I did think about that HF tranny dolly/stand. I didn’t see one at my local. 

Knuckleheads like me get too obsessive over parts going to scrap. I’ve got my value from this golden pig already. So should I get hurt taking out this pig I’d be even more knuckleheaded. Again thankful I can take my time for once. 

And thanks Larry for the opinion on the trans pan. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah , I’m wrestling a pig after all. 

Got it down easily , and surprisingly without what GD suggested although I was ready to. A little twist n stuff , and I started by taking the pitching stopper bracket off. That helps. 

So it sits in the floor. Got it down as gently as I could. But now I need a 900 lb gorilla, got one ? LOL , I’ll manage but again I didn’t dedicate much time and wrapped up to get back into life which clocks me in to work soon. 

Why ? I have a tough time answering myself at times like this. I mean I’ll end up getting it out from under and all but man the time and muscle. Even when using all sorts of tools it’s still up and down , etc and waaaagghh to cry about my knee lately .... yeah that stuff that makes you question if this is worth it. Cheap guy saga. 

Had the car up high enough but too many factors made me rest it back down and go at it soon enough. And the jackstands, yikes ! Check that other post of mine. Those rear stands are holding one side of the U channel of the rear arms. That’s from jacking the front so extreme. Another reason to walk away for the night. 

See you after the next round of success. 

B911C828-A51C-4E49-ACAC-D14D1C4589B6.jpeg.6f6f101a3dba20f7feca62c8d5ab0b45.jpeg

I’m a bit late to the party but I was going to chip in that I use a motorcycle jack to raise and lower the gearbox out. It’s a bit fiddly as you have to remove the jack to get the gearbox out from under the vehicle. Then do the reverse when putting it in... 

And I’ve perfected the art of pulling the box out and reinstalling without needing to pull the ball joints out to swing the hubs out for the drive shaft removal from the box. Works a treat.

Cheers 

Bennie

I won the match. Just about done with the silliness of obsessive dismantling. Took off more crap I won’t need and probably won’t sell. But it’s fun and therapeutic, yeah that’s right. 

Raised the front as shown and somebody must have been looking out for me because that piggie came out fairly easy. 

Small victory. My celebratory post. 7AC87A1A-F83F-46B5-84B5-0E95703C1AA9.jpeg.a168247ff5d55b82bb226199525eed6a.jpeg

• Like 3