Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Maybe Leaky Sunroof 2000 Outback

Just purchased a 2000 Outback Limited with 165k miles. Runs well and seems in remarkabke shape. Judging from the lack of dust and grime in the rear and under hood areas, it looks like it has never seen a dirt road.The potential issue I'm facing is a leaky "moon" roof, though I haven't tested it yet. The PO had caulked both the front and rear glass, presumably to staunch leaks. I removed the calk and cleaned it all up, but cannot for the life of me figure out where the front drain holes are let alone the rears. I'd like to try and see if I can clear then and get them to drain properly before it starts to rain, which may or may not happen anytime soon here in California. I have included a picture here. Can someone get me close?

PXL_20210829_164232596.jpg

Edited by yblocker

While it's a bit of work, you may want to drop the headliner.  That will give you good access to the drain hoses.

Far outside corners are where the single sunroof drains are.  I'm not sure on the double.

If you have never removed all the plastic around the windows to drop the headliner, a Self-serve junk yard is a great place to learn!

Messed with it this afternoon a little bit. I found the ends of both rear drains, and blew air up into them and they seem clear.  I then poured water into the outside sunroof rails. The front end of the car is currently on jack stands, so the water could flow backwards easily.  Water pisses out on both sides by the rear wheels so I think the rear drains are clear.  I think  the next step is to try and pull back the front wheel well liners and see if I can find the ends of the front hoses.  I sure can't see anything from above near where I think the holes are where the glass pivots up. 

I’m ripping apart a 2000 Legacy GT wagon right now. Double moonies like yours. 

Rears were easy to spot. I haven’t yet looked for the fronts but I will next trip back to the car. You saw where they exit out back and my guess would be the fronts have a similar end duct with a rubber flapper too. 

Those rear tubes are pretty large diameter so maybe they are handling the majority. Then again I haven’t seen fronts to compare. 

This car I’m raping is now at a point where it’s got to go. If you need anything for those roofs including complete assy. just let me know. I don’t need anything just take care of shipping and buy me a beer. 

I am tearing the ceiling liner down carefully to keep because don’t you know my 2003 wagon leaks too. I don’t care about the glass or mechanisms, I’m just going to seal mine up and put the nicer liner up.

I’m in CT near NY 

Thanks agin all.

After looking at a parts schematic, it appears as though in addition to the rear drain holes there are forward drain holes on the sliding glass part. 

I'll try and locate those today.

What about the smaller forward glass that only pivots up.  How does that one drain?

Moosens- The one part I need is the forward slider/cover thing.  It's broken.  Sounds like you still need that piece though?.

228D7F12-0A29-417E-B69F-ACDC237A5F9E.jpeg.97a03b3ef68652687d2db966d719e3c8.jpegC014846B-F014-479E-B8E2-046A101181D5.jpeg.eb16c1496047641b1a45eab41f0241a0.jpeg

that’s the left read drain tube at the outlet. As you can see there was some build up there. 

Just stopped by this car today for another short stint. Figured I’d snap some shots.

I have the perimeter of the ceiling liner all loose and the only thing I need to further investigate would be how this thing is anchored around the glass. I can see that it’s one point in the center in the forward roof , and the back looks like it has four of some sort. 

Good clear photos- thanks for posting them.  I may end up pulling down the headliner if the system leaks under real time conditions. 

I wound up pulling the inner wheel well liners off behind the front wheels which exposes the drain tubes leading to the front 2 corners of the sliding glass.  I blew some water up the tubes which cleaned out some gunk.  All four drains at each corner of the big sliding glass now appear to be clear.

I see no evidence of a drain for the forward, smaller tilt-up glass.  I am beginning to think that it is intended to seal with it's rubber seal.

Let me know if you need pictures or parts. I took the entire double unit down and all seals carefully removed as well. 

There’s a few drains and some T into others’s duct. Haven’t gone to see the exit for the front tubes yet but you were already down that path. Just about to roll this car out for scrap. 

35B881D4-A325-4C1B-A0AD-8484F5D10F2E.jpeg.dbbefa842d251260dc8999cde6a6a385.jpegE1546B28-A516-4D0D-93D0-AED7B3EFEA00.jpeg.2bb2ea76d0043e960e0a873cdc73f1de.jpeg50BECC8A-9ED5-4F14-8EA0-4B072737DC3A.jpeg.d4894eb0385f22b4ca3a1d9005dbf42f.jpeg

• Like 2