Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1981 dl 1.6 no fuel

I have a 1981 Subaru DL 1.6 engine.  I cannot get fuel to the carburetor.  I have not started the car in about 2 years. I have a new fuel filter located under the car at the back and no fuel gets to their.  My fuel pump in located under the hood.  I have started the car with starting fluid and it runs fine for about 3 seconds. Could someone suggest what I can check to locate what is wrong?

Thanks Paul 

• 2 months later...

I’m thinking a DL 1600 of that era is a leftover from the previous 1600’s of the late 70’s. 

So you want to verify that your alternator and voltage regulator are working well. 

Did you jumped wire the pump to verify it’s working or just turn the key and see that it pumps ? And does it pump more than 3 seconds ? 

Fuse box under the dash on the left side ? I don’t have a good recollection at this time since I ditched the 80’s cars two decades ago or more. 

Fusible links up front in the engine bay for sure. When I get home I’ll check a factory manual from 1982 , also has 1600’s with the 1800’s

Thanks for asking.  I have replaced the Voltage Regulator and I have tested the Fuel Pump and it runs well being jumped from the car battery.  The fuse box is located under the dash and I have checked all of the fuses and they are good.  I will be rechecking them because my son say that the engine fuse may have something to do with the fuel pump. I have also found that the fuel pump wiring goes to the EMC box.  I have not had time to check the wiring to see if it could lead me to what is keeping the fuel pump from running when starting the car.  I have started the engine by putting gas in the carburetor.  The engine runs well accept the fuel pump.  Paul

Those glass fuses can be bad and easily overlooked when the glass has separated from the metal end cap and it LOOKS like it’s ok until you tug on the end cap and it reveals itself. 

That is assuming yours is like the previous 1600’s and I’m pretty sure yours is mostly carryover of that era for engine electrical. 

The factory service manual suggests to exchange both the alternator and VR at the same time on the previous 1600’s 1976-79 

But now that you mention the EMC box I think that begins in 1980/81 so that could be something I’m far from familiarity with. 

• 1 month later...

Can someone post a picture of the voltage regulator? I have an 81 DL 1800 and I think someone jerry-rigged a relay as a VR. And it's been the bane of this cars existence since I've become an owner. I have been searching everywhere for what the grey harness connects to, and I think it is the Voltage Regulator.

10 hours ago, moosens said:

As best as I can recall a car from 1981 being a DL 1800 would be internally regulated (alternator). 

My wiring diagram shows that the alternator goes to a voltage regulator....and that just happens to be where a previous owner installed a relay and crammed 6 out of the seven wires into three wires to fit the relay. I've been trying to figure out where the grey connector goes to, and this post gave me the much needed breakthrough!