Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just about to shove this parts wagon to scrap and had wondered about salvaging the air bags. For one thing I’m going to be putting a new driver in a same era car very soon. And you  never know with me behind the whee of my own ‘03.

Are they worth the effort ? Given their age is it worth it ? The parts car is a 2000 so 22 years old now. 
Here’s something to consider @@@ the car was smashed in front but the bags didn’t go off. Damage was mostly hood and grill, bumper too but wasn’t too bad. I even salvaged the driving lights. 

Old days and older generation cars I would take the steering column complete. Is that something you can still do with these airbags in them ? 

I had been fooling around with the dashboard and kind of exploring. Removed a bunch of nuts but haven’t really made the full effort. Anything to know if I go after the passenger bag ? Is that even worth it ? 

Normally I’d say if something like that needs replacing on my car or kid’s car that it’s just time to let the car go. But given several factors I’m just looking to cover bases and have that insurance on the shelf. Theory has been talked about by many. You have the part ready to use and  therefore you won’t ever need it. 

Check recall first and see if it’s on the list. 

Check car-parts.com - if they’re not available in high volume used due to the recall that might convince you to keep them  

Drivers side is easy so grab that. 

Computer is under stereo in front of the shifter.  But I don’t think those years need reset like newer ones. Or I’m just forgetting.

Up to you of course. I wouldn’t now, have when I was younger, so I get it if  you want too so jt comes down to personal preference and how much time and storage you’re willing to give up for a maybe. 

• Like 2

I have a garage full of saved 'jewels'. Saved, 'just in case' I might need them.

And over the years, my hoard of 'useful stuff' has been invaluable.

However, as I've aged, my memory has diminished (slowly, gradually, unstoppable) to the point that I can't recall where my stuff has been stashed, nor even can I always recall what I actually have.

I dream that I will bequeath my Aladdin's Cave of jewels to my children and grandchildren.  The reality is that they will park a dumpster in the driveway, into which they will toss everything...

• Like 2

Thanks all. Yeah , it’s time I stopped myself and rolled this stinking box out. If I am crazy enough to continue I will check the recall list first and sift through the nice pile of service records they kept. 

Storage , well you know what George Carlin said about that , right ? Thinned out my vintage parts , now filling it up with would be could be functional parts. Ahhh the American way. 

If you keep the airbags and computer, write the VIN on the back of them for future reference. 

The question about the whole steering column with the airbag - totally doable. Just let the bag sit without power for at least 30mins. Could be a myth but I’d rather play it safe with airbags! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 2

Waiting for the scrapper I decided to make the effort. 

The passenger side was easier than I had thought. Also have the steering column down but not disconnected at the joint yet so I can maneuver the car. One bolt and it’ll be extracted. 

Pulled the dashboard mostly for experience and assist , so I thought , getting the other components out. It’s a sickness I know. Most of this stuff will sit around but screw it I’m forced to pay for storage so might as well use it. 

Siphoned the gas , pretty much taken all of value from this piggie. 

Edited by moosens

I hear ya Larry but I’m content to keep it a roller for my old buddy who’s coming for it. Haven’t seen the guy in a few years but we’re always good with each other no matter how much time has passed since last bumping into each other. 

And there’s a young lady I think in the next town over who will likely grab those wheels as long as my friend can work it out either at the yard or if she comes up with some steels.

As for the brakes and suspension, yeah I sure did give it all considering, but in the long run enough is enough. 

For reasons I’d rather not go into I sort of need to finish this up and get back to life without wrenches. 

Look for my EGR thread to bump up soon. Tomorrow I need to extract my old engine and get them side by side and then the big show - drill and tap in the EGR port/fitting. 

What I need to do tomorrow is turn my back on that piggie and focus on my car. Let’s see what happens. LOL there’s still a heater unit in there I have mostly undone , and the steering wheel just one bolt at the joint and it’s ready to yank , and wait , I think there’s a seat belt , wait what about the .....

• Haha 1