Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NEED ADVISE about Class 3 Hitch - 98 Legacy Outback

20 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Oh wow - didn't even think of that! I'll have to ask my guy in TX about that - he has a military museum down there. I wouldn't think they would mess with a camo LMTV with Texas plates but maybe? It is supremely off-road capable so would be uniquely suited to border crossing in the middle of nowhere......

GD 

I got pulled over with my family members in a rented van coming back from a cruise - could be anything that triggers it I guess. They probably saw the van low on its suspension...?

My snake-keeping friend goes to Big Bend/Chisos Mts. every year or 2. He gets pulled over and 'sniffed' half the time.

Take some paperwork with you indicating what's going on with the 1079. I suggest dead tree, not just a pdf on a phone. Just to cover the bases.

A lot of small towns on secondary roads will be speed traps, just try to observe the decreasing limits when you approach, and DO NOT just floor it leaving town either. Some of them could be down to 25mph in town, and maybe less if there's a school zone. It's a major revenue source. A few decades ago, Texas had to pass a law that no township could receive more than 25% or w'ever of there $$$ from traffic violations lol! West Texas is the most insane part of the State. A lot of 'burn-outs' and anti-social types seek out the solitude of that area.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Good advice! I've been all over the west and the east coast and even Canada but never had the pleasure of TX. Now I have to drive basically through half of it in a couple days.

Fortunately the 1079 without the taller MRAP gears and the CAT engine flashed for more power has a max speed of about 58 (74 after those upgrades). I will observe speed limit signs carefully though! 

GD

• Like 1

How much does your trailer and bike weigh?

I think you’re worried about tongue weight too much unless you’re towing this thing weekly and traversing steep Colorado mountain passes in the best of summer and blizzard of winter. 

The tongue weight has massive safety margin built into it and so far you’re talked about very small numbers.  

you an also reduce tongue weight - load distribution, height of ball, etc. 

If, on the other hand the amount/terrain and frequency of towing and weight are such that you need to worry about those small differences the that car is a poor towing choice no matter what you do.

But yes a custom co figuration with increased mounting points would be wise