Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to swap a 88 Xt6 fwd 4spd auto to 5spd fwd manual

Want to swap a 5 spd manual in my 88 xt6 4spd fwd, where can I find a good guide because the xt6 website dont work.

what 5sp trannys can I swap in and what parts would I need? Does anybody sell a complete kit? What's the market price for trans?

Did some research and its just the pedals, clutch, trans and connections wired differently with some misc parts. 

Also my belt squeaks when I start it up I'm guessing needs a new belt and tensioner tightened?

It's the most fun car I've driven what's other cars are as much fun?

On 9/14/2021 at 2:34 AM, el_freddo said:

I’m guessing this wasn’t a common conversion. Parts will be hard to find these days in terms of the pedal box if it differs to the L series. Everything else under the floor pan is L series based. 

Cheers 

Bennie

is the shift linkage the same? cant you take the pedal boxes and cut them to fit if they are too big? 

I would trade for a 2 door impreza.......

On 9/16/2021 at 11:34 AM, xXArchusXx said:

is the shift linkage the same? cant you take the pedal boxes and cut them to fit if they are too big? 

I would trade for a 2 door impreza.......

I have zero experience with the Vortex body and interior bits. I can’t even tell you if the shift linkages are the same! 

Best of luck doing a swap. I doubt anyone with an impreza knows what they’re looking at unless they’re a real fanatic! Many EJ subaru fans don’t know about the L series let alone the Vortex/XT4/XT6 variants! 

Cheers 

Bennie

XT6 trans is just an EA82 transmission with EA82 turbo trans axles splines and xt specific final which won’t matter on FWD. 

On 9/13/2021 at 1:09 AM, xXArchusXx said:

what 5sp trannys can I swap in and what parts would I need? Does anybody sell a complete kit? What's the market price for trans?

Any EA82 transmission. Turbo is easiest so you don’t need to deal with inner axle inner cups.

only an xt (4 or 6) manual trans center console will accept the shifter and interior in stock form if you want it finished properly and not hacked up. 

instrument panel doesn’t need swapped to run and drive but just for completeness/aesthetics like to get rid of P-R-N-D auto specific indicators  

No kits. No market price on something this old and uncommon.  Prices usually aren’t high but vary wildly since demand and supply are small.

$200-$400 for the trans but can vary 

On 9/13/2021 at 1:09 AM, xXArchusXx said:

Did some research and its just the pedals, clutch, trans and connections wired differently with some misc parts.

XT6s require a specific flywheel and pressure plate - I can’t recall if the difference is on the engine bellhousing side or trans side and if you can use an EA82 plate but people usually want xt6 stuff and the flywheels aren’t easy to come by.  

And XT center console to accept the shifter.

It’s been a long time but I think the cruise control computers need swapped as well if you want that to work.

squeaking belt - stethoscope will nail it. If the belt has never been changed then it’s a good guess. 

you’ve had this car for sale before right ?

Finding parts for the xt\xt6 usually sucks. Involves luck and a good eye. Pretty sure there are a few members on here as well as on the Facebook group that have a whole manual 5 speed parts car which I'm sure they would love to help you out with! I only have the center console for a manual if that helps you in anyway. Glad to see another person with an xt6 on the road!