Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Different driveshafts for l series?

Just curious If there were different driveshafts for the l series?

The reason I ask is I bought some kelpro cv boots for a set of repco front driveshafts I purchased not too long ago and the boots are about 10mm too small in diameter on the large end for the cv cups. This caused me to check the diameter of the old driveshafts I've had laying around and they are smaller (the correct size for the kelpro boots I bought). I thought maybe repco just decided to make them bigger but I went back instore and the shafts they have are of the smaller size.

So was there a particular model that for some reason had heavier duty driveshafts and I've somehow ended up with them? I'd like to find out so I can try and possibly get some kelpro boots to suit instead of the crappy universal ones I'll have to use for now.

The car is a 5spd 89 touring wagon.

Edited by Raynman1989

I’m sure there were different shaft thicknesses but for what reason I don’t know - probably 2wd vs PT4wd, with the 4wd one being thicker I reckon.

Aftermarket axles can do what they want with these items, so it can be hit and miss, not to mention inaccuracies in parts catalogues from time to time. 

Cheers 

Bennie