Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying to use evoscan 1993 Legacy

Hello. I have a 1993 Legacy EJ22 in the back of a Vanagon. I've been having some issues with it and so I bought the evoscan cable and software.

I can't seem to get it to work right. At first I got an error about the cable and port but when I picked "offline test mode" I started to get data. The problem is that the data make no sense. The values just keep increasing.

What am i doing wrong? I know that others have had success. Do I have the wrong cable? Am I supposed to be using the offline test mode or not?

Thanks for any help.

Leo

evoscan2.JPG

evoscan1.JPG

Don't know this software or cable, but "offline test mode" suggests just that - that it's offline (i.e. not connecting/connected to the ECU) and is running in test mode based on some internally-generated or -stored data that (obviously) has no relation to the true system readings you're looking for.  I have no idea why they'd include this or what it's meant to "test".

G’day @bajaleo

What data are you trying to look at? The 1993 is OBDI so connecting for live data I believe is a difficult thing to achieve. 

If wanting to read codes you’ll need to find the test mode connectors, connect them, then read the flashes from the check engine light. These codes will point you in the direction of the sensors that are having issues. 

The Oxygen sensor will sometimes not throw any codes, but not function properly, as this could give poor fuel economy and feel like it’s lacking performance. The AFM could be dirty and be giving false readings to the ECU, effecting the performance of the engine. 

I hope this helps. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thanks Freddo. Yes, I want to see real time data which evoscan can do. General Disorder and others have had success with it, so I'm hoping they will chime in with suggestions .

I'm familiar with connecting the green connectors and reading the flashes.

also have a B10 scan tool which also gives realtime data, albeit a little more primitive looking than evoscan.

Disappointed that evoscan isn't working for me and that Hamish hasn't responded to my emails for assistance.

Leo

I've never used evoscan before, but it looks like the error message says the laptop can't even see your usb adapter.  It looks like a problem between the laptop and adapter itself.

Do you have a Windows 7 laptop to try it on?  I'm looking at the evoscan web page and it doesn't say anywhere that it supports Windows 10

Well, there's also that counterfeit FTDI business.  Did the cable come from the guy who supplied the software?  If not, you might have a cable that has a counterfeit chip in it - the part that handles the USB-to-serial interface.  If this is the case, the software may not communicate with it properly.

I've done it but it's been a long time and only in stock configurations (IE: engine in a Subaru). I did get (painfully slow) data from my 91 Sport Sedan...... if you want more than 1 data PID the refresh rate is about 1 Hz. Pretty much useless. 

It would be best to rip that stock ECU out of there and install a LINK plug and play board. They have one that will connect directly to the OBD-I ECU connections and they aren't expensive. Gets you full stand alone tune-ability and fast data. Plus you can sh!t can the stupid MAF sensor and all that BS plumbing nightmare. 

GD

On 9/20/2021 at 8:26 AM, el_freddo said:

@GeneralDisorder.. he’s on a road trip (slow one :P ) from what I’ve read in other posts, so be patient and he’ll get on to this I’m sure! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Road trip starts Oct 1st. I'll have my phone and my laptop and I'll likely check in out of sheer boredom going 55mph through the desert. 

GD

• Haha 1

I used Evoscan on a '90 I turbo-swapped running both a '92 SS ECU and and an early EJ20G with a RobTune. Also, used it on my '96 Legacy NA-T, which still has the SSM connectors. 

I'd focus on getting the cable to work...sounds like that's your first hurdle. 

Post I found on NASIOC, but not sure how useful it is.

Here are the parameters I used: 

Uh8SuX1.jpg