Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for an Hitachi Manifold

Hey everyone,

Would anybody on this forum happen to have a manifold for an Hitachi 2 BBL? I'm replacing the carburetor that I have on mine which is a Carter-Weber 1 BBL, and whether I go for an Hitachi 2 BBL or a Weber 32/36, it looks like I will need the manifold for the Hitachi.

Thank you!

Go for an EA82 manifold. It bolts to the EA81 and offers mounting for a slightly larger hitachi carb. 

It will change the way the hot side radiator hose is routed, it will point in a forwards direction from the front of the engine’s RHS. Factory setup points to the engine’s RHS at the RHS rear of the engine. 

Cheers 

Bennie

On 9/19/2021 at 5:48 PM, el_freddo said:

Go for an EA82 manifold. It bolts to the EA81 and offers mounting for a slightly larger hitachi carb. 

It will change the way the hot side radiator hose is routed, it will point in a forwards direction from the front of the engine’s RHS. Factory setup points to the engine’s RHS at the RHS rear of the engine. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Okay I see, the problem for me though is that I cannot find out exactly what I am looking for. I’m still trying to learn about this vehicle, especially since this is my first carbureted car. What would the intake for the carburetor look like? 

On 9/21/2021 at 8:55 AM, el_freddo said:

Stumbled across this website when looking for an image to show you - there’s an EA81 vs EA82 intake manifold pic on this page: 

https://www.angelfire.com/crazy/bushy5552/weber1.html 

That should answer all your questions! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thank you so much! I was able to source a EA82 manifold off of an ‘87 wagon, and I just bought a newly rebuilt hitachi carburetor. From what I’ve read in here, it seems like the Hitachi will be more of a headache compared to the Weber 32/36, but I wanted to be able to keep the engine bay looking stock with the blue Subaru air filter, I didn’t like the look of the Weber filter.

I should probably be asking this in a separate thread, but since I’ll be going from a Carter-Weber to a Hitachi, will there be any additional steps I need to take to install it on the new manifold? 

Dunno on any other necessary mods as I don’t know the Carter-Weber. 

The hitachi has an anti-dieseling solenoid that will require power to allow fuel in to do its thing. The auto choke (if it has one) will require power too. 

If you want to go Weber, someone on the forum modified a factory air cleaner to fit on the Weber. Looked super neat too!

All the best with it. 

Cheers 

Bennie