Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Unusual A/C configuration, 90 loyale

Here‘s a puzzle I can‘t seem to figure out.

There are three dual-drive (v-) belt configurations I‘ve seen mentioned around the web. The same three are shown here in the 1989 factory service manual: 

Then p es as anäwaq 

The Panasonic A/C setup has an outboard A/C compressor, inboard alternator, and idler pulley below the A/C compressor. The rear belt is the A/C belt, the front belt is the alternator belt.

My Loyale has an outboard A/C compressor as well, but no idler pulley, and someone seems to have switched the belts around. 
I don‘t see any place a missing idler pulley would bolt in, either…

Funny thing is, the A/C belt (without idler pulley) is too loose, even though I‘ve extended its tensioning bracket all the way. Belt doesn’t seem like it has been stretched a bunch. Belt is a Gates 49.5“. 
Wrong belt?

Missing idler pulley? 
Stretched belt?

I‘ll try replacing the belt with a new one since I already have one, to see if it will fit better…

I can‘t wait to get this weirdness sorted out. The properly tensioned alternator belt does the job of keeping everything spinning, but one of them still squeals occasionally. A/C doesn‘t really work anyways, and that‘s not a part of my car I‘ve researched much.

Hoping to resolve this by either deleting the A/C system (I prefer windows anyways) or getting to the bottom of all this. Here are some pics of the belts and the compressor. Not sure if it’s hooked up right, I have yet to check out how the wiring and fluid lines work.

- can I just pull the A/C compressor and disconnect the wires, then run two belts on the alternator? What else will I want to remove?

- what do you think is the deal with this configuration?

please advise!

2-FE0-BE09-7532-4-C62-8485-8394-C6-B38-B

You can see the A/C, alternator, power steering, crankshaft, oil pump, and nonexistent idler pulleys in counterclockwise order from the top right. The A/C belt is in front, and my new alternator has a single groove pulley (works out!) because I haven‘t gotten around to putting the old alternator‘s two-groove pulley on it. 
(sidetopic: that‘s because the bolt is on there pretty tight and I am having trouble getting the new alternator back out to work on it: the alternator came with a tall lip around the rear pivot bolt hole, and I had to pry the opening it slots into apart slightly to get it in there. Now I haven’t been able to get it back out. Was pretty impressed I managed to get it in there and fit the pivot bolt through everything in the first place! I should have ground down the lip a little so it was more of a snug fit and not a death-grip, jeez. Anyone had this problem with recommended replacement alternators?)

33-C6-FCA9-0595-4116-BE97-066-A164-B3497 Another angle for good measure
D358-E71-D-3127-4281-825-B-E916-F5534-CC
the A/C compressor33-A9-C0-B4-F76-E-4-D3-A-B0-BF-1-E51-CB8

The two connectors coming out of the wiring harness near it; only one connects to the A/C

cheers

jon

There there brands of compressors. Hitachi, Panasonic and Denso. If I remember correct the Hitachi was the factory, with Panasonic and Denso being the dealer installed.

I had a 89 2WD DL Sedan with that setup. The previous owner had installed a belt from the power steering to the AC only. Which was great, everytime you turned the AC on you lost power steering. Perfect for defrosting in the winter!

You have to get an actual metric belt for it to work easily. They are NOA in the states as far as I could tell. I ended up with in size smaller belt.

To get it on I pulled the alternator, unbolted the ac compressor. Then put the alternator belt just hanging on the pulleys, then put the ac belt on all 4. Then with some help, bolted the ac compressor up. Then reinstalled the alternator, and tightened up the belts.

This lasted 40k+ until I sold it after the 3 speed started acting up.

On 9/21/2021 at 11:39 AM, Dee2 said:

I modified the length of the slot in the bracket to get some additional tension adjustment.

On 9/21/2021 at 12:09 PM, DaveT said:

I had one with that configuration.   Made the slot longer, got the next shorter belt.

Sounds about right, I should have thought of that…

I got a smaller belt, will mess with it today.

1 hour ago, Ionstorm66 said:

You have to get an actual metric belt for it to work easily. They are NOA in the states as far as I could tell. I ended up with in size smaller belt.

That seems like it would solve the problem - I haven’t been able to find a metric belt length, though. Nothing in the FSM or on parts.subaru; they only list one belt and I can’t find it’s dimensions anywhere for some reason? Any ideas?

If it’s dealer fitted it could be listed in the owner’s manual if you’ve still got it. 

I don’t know why you’d get a dealer fitted AC system when the factory fitted AC is so much neater and a better package overall IMO. 

I don’t think we got many dealer fitted AC systems if any in the L series. Everything EA81 seems to be very similar to the dealer fitted EA82 AC system, but it still looked quite factory - every unit I’ve seen in the EA81 is the same layout with the same cast iron brackets. 

Anyway, slightly off topic. Check your owner’s manual for possible details of the belt you require. 

Cheers 

Bennie

3 hours ago, el_freddo said:

If it’s dealer fitted it could be listed in the owner’s manual if you’ve still got it. 

I don’t know why you’d get a dealer fitted AC system when the factory fitted AC is so much neater and a better package overall IMO. 

I don’t think we got many dealer fitted AC systems if any in the L series. Everything EA81 seems to be very similar to the dealer fitted EA82 AC system, but it still looked quite factory - every unit I’ve seen in the EA81 is the same layout with the same cast iron brackets. 

Anyway, slightly off topic. Check your owner’s manual for possible details of the belt you require. 

Cheers 

Bennie

They had dealer fitted AC to keep the cars in a smaller tax bracket for import. It's very common on the base models. I've only seen it on DL FWDs.

19 hours ago, errantalmond said:

That seems like it would solve the problem - I haven’t been able to find a metric belt length, though. Nothing in the FSM or on parts.subaru; they only list one belt and I can’t find it’s dimensions anywhere for some reason? Any ideas?

I was told the metric belt thing by dealtech in Colorado a long time ago. Could have just been BS to say that they didn't fit from the get go. That car had ice cold AC until the day it was so rusted I was too scared to drive.