Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Impreza L wagon: I drove to Chicago a couple months ago and had no trouble. Came back and the next day, driving 50 mph the stick popped out of gear and would not get back into gear. When my timing belt broke a few years ago, the same thing happened. Ordered the water pump kit through rockauto and have had it for a while. Haven't fixed my car because I also have a truck. Truck is broke down so I decided to change the belt. After taking everything apart, the belt was still in tact so I changed it anyway. Put everything back together, started it and tried to drive. Light smoke and burning smell came from above the transmission area. I checked the trans fluid and was dry. About 6 years ago, my trans had a fluid leak so my buddy and I opened up the transmission and replaced the seal along with something else (I can't remember). I filled the transmission fluid, using 90w gear oil. Gears still won't engage, more light smoke and burning smell. Please tell me I didn't "F" my transmission, any help is appreciated. 

How do you know it's not the clutch?   If clutch is fried it won't go into gear either. 

How "dry" was it - completely empty?

It doesn't go into any gear? 
The cable and fork are moving in and out properly with the clutch pedal? 

Have you tried putting it in every gear and jamming the stick in hard? 

What happens if you try to turn the wheels/axle by hand (or with tools) - will they turn (ebrake off)?   if both front axles turn with no play/noise, then the front diff should be fine. But there's still the gears and synchros. 

I'd guess maybe the synchro's are smoked due to lack of fluid.  You could drain the fluid and see if you get chunks, sparklies, how much, or nothing in the fluid.  Check fluid carefully in a pan/with some white cloth. 

Edited by idosubaru
  • Like 1

Since I parked it, I've left the e-brake off and in 1st gear. I'm able to move it by pushing back and forth. Just started it and had it in 1st gear, let off the clutch and nothing happened. I thought maybe it would stall but it acted as tho I had my foot on the accelerator. When I gave it gas, that's when a slight grinding noise started (was very slight) and the white smoke appeared where the trans meets the engine. It will go into gear and the clutch works fine. 

Yes, when I put fluid in the trans yesterday it seemed to be completely dry. I added about 2 qts before the level on the dip stick came up. Today I don't have time to drain the fluid as I'm trying to get my truck going. I'll have more time tomorrow. 

Tried this again, car is started. Push clutch in and put in 1st gear. Let off clutch and car acted like it wants to move forward but doesn't. Also Tried reverse, let out on clutch and acted like it wants to move but doesn't.

Back when I had a bad seal I had to add gear fluid to drive, they smoke smell doesn't smell like that. And the smoke doesn't appear until I give it gas. The smell isn't as filthy smelling as oil, it's more of a light bitter smell. I don't know how else to describe it. 

Side note, 2nd 3rd and 4th gears don't give me the impression the car wants to move like 1st and reverse. When I put it in 5th, the engine shakes. 

I have no idea.  Sounds like clutch/cable/fork related to me, but this kind of stuff doesn't happen enough for me to have any statistically meaningful feedback.  

If it was a transmission issue I'd think you'd feel or hear noises like synchros crunching/grinding or bearings/diff whine/clunk/etc.

But I've never seen what a MT Subaru trans does when it's run out of gear oil so I don't have any reference for that.  I'd wonder if you can find someone who's destoryed a trans due to oil starvation and see what the symptoms were?

• Like 1