Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Compatibility of tow hitch for 2002 Subaru

Thanks, then no reason to save the one from the Outback.

Are these hard to install without power tools?

How about a minimal type hitch, class one or bumper hitch as I don't expect to do heavy towing?

Edited by ThosL

Never used a U-Haul hitch, but I've done lots of Curt and Hidden Hitch on late 90s-early 00s Legacy Wagons, Outbacks, and Foresters and never needed power tools for any part of it.  The only tricky bit is fishing the bolt into the frame with the fish-tape-wire-thingy (that's a technical term).  I've gotten all my hitches from the boneyard and then gotten the thingies from local hitch shops for nothing.

Edited by jonathan909

I went to Uhaul and they confirmed the old 97 Outback tow hitch was not compatible;  #12270 for 97 and 36311 for the 02 Forester.  

So junkyards would be a good supply option for a tow hitch?  I do not relish the idea of squirreling under the car and getting everything squared away. 

As @idosubaru indicated, the Legacy/OBW hitch and Forester hitch are completely different - different frames.

I've had excellent luck at the self-serve yards here, and (surprisingly) the big bolts used to attach the hitches have never been frozen/seized/rusted in place (though we don't have salt air...).  Always been able to pull them with nothing more than a 1/2" ratchet/breaker bar and flat wrenches, and they set me back about $30.  The only annoying part of the job is getting the charcoal box out of the way.

Edited by jonathan909
  • Like 1

I stopped at a CT junkyard today, LaJoies in New Milford as I was going up RT 7, they had a unit @$75  they said was compatible, looked underneath the car, and said the holes would have to be drilled.   Is there any cheap or easier solution to this?

What, holes drilled in the frame?  If we're talking about one of the aftermarket hitches I mentioned (Curt, Hidden Hitch) or similar, nonsense.  The necessary holes are already there; they have plastic plugs in them that just have to be popped out and the attachment bolts fished in.

[edit]

Oh - and make sure you get all the hardware, including the bolts that have to be fished back out of the frame.  Getting them is a little fiddly, but not hard.

Edited by jonathan909

One can always improvise, but I made a point of mentioning it because the hardware is a bit specific.  IIrc, they use big carriage bolts so they'll seat into the slots in the frame from the inside, then you spin the nut on from below.  So the square/locking portion of the carriage bolt head has to be the right size.  Also, there are little clamping plates that are used to bolt up to the tiedown loops on the frame.

I'm assuming from the price (3x what my local self-serve yard charges, as the $30 I quoted is canuck bucks) and your question that you're dealing with a full-service yard, otherwise you could just be sure to get the hardware yourself.  If that's the case, they're charging a very hefty premium to yank four bolts, so tell them you're expecting to get ALL the hardware.

Thanks, I got a call back from a junk yard connected to another location where they have the new hitch without the carriage bolts, and they said they had one in their Norwalk location and for me to come check it out.  What are these really worth used?

The tow bar unit that requires holes could be a 50x50mm receiver hitch style, typically seen as the heavy duty unit. These have the advantage of easily removing the tow ball tongue/hitch with a clip and a pin. 

I pulled one from a 2002 foz and sold it here locally with all bolts and trailer wiring for $AU120. Holes needed to be drilled at the top of the spare tyre well where sandwich plates were fitted from memory. 

I much prefer the self serve yards - when you know what you need and can get EVERYTHING rather than having to communicate with the wreckers about all the little bits that complete the kit (this happened to me recently with a good self serve and “premium” wreckers... just the small but critical items x2). 

Cheers 

Bennie

14 minutes ago, el_freddo said:

The tow bar unit that requires holes could be a 50x50mm receiver hitch style, typically seen as the heavy duty unit. These have the advantage of easily removing the tow ball tongue/hitch with a clip and a pin.

Worth mentioning:  I've towed boats all over this continent for 40 years with an insert pinned as described above.  Then, a couple of summers ago, we were on our way across the Rockies from BC back to Alberta - climbing a hill, in the rain, in heavy traffic - when the pin chose to take its leave.  First and only time I've ever been saved by the safety chains, and now every one of our towing vehicles has a locking pin.  No more of that spring clip nonsense for me again, ever.