Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Compatibility of tow hitch for 2002 Subaru

1 hour ago, ThosL said:

I will probably use one just once so will not buy a set I will never use again, and I did see what Amazon had but want to get it done as soon as possible.  

like I said.. check around locally.. they are not that expensive, and while not used a ton, like a standard socket set would be, they can be quite useful to have on hand

there are smaller sets available - only 5 pcs in the most common sizes.. but you just never know when you might need one.. especially if you work on things yourself.

• Like 1

I feel there's a better than 50/50 chance extraction tools could be loaned-out by a parts store. Call around local NAPA, PepBoys, Advance Auto, etc.

The cost of even good tools for a job like this is still often less than paying a shop for the work, plus, all the one-time-use tools I have, I figure my SILs will inherit, or, they get sold in a garage sale. Folks show-up at garage sales early to snag used tools. They will still have value.

• Like 2

I wholeheartedly second that:  When you think in terms of "how much per hour X how many hours will I have to pay someone with the 'expensive tool' to do this?", you will often find that even the highest-quality tools turn out to be really cheap!  Of course, the other multiplier in this equation is the skill level required to do the work with that tool, but in the case of turning out a bolt, chances are it's close to or at X1.

• Like 2

I find it very inefficient to buy tools you will use one time; on this tow hitch installation project, I called two of my usual mechanics, both are very busy this week; one referred me to "Bob's service" who is busy for the next several weeks; I checked around to a number of UHaul installation garages, one in Orange was available, but that is a long drive and their reviews are poor.  I used PB Blaster and a freeze product, used a torch on the stripped bolt and used "Gator" drive designed to help with bolts like that.  No dice on that.  

There were a number of curve balls on this project that were not spelled out in the Draw Tite directions.  How the alignment of the bolt installation that would get affected by pulling out the old tie downs, etc..  So some DIY installers have to use a screw driver etc. to shift the alignment so you can put their bolts in, which by the way have a 19mm head, not the 17mm of the ones you pull out.  Also the installation of the muffler rubber grommet bracket is not clear in the directions for those who have never done one of these projects. Jostling around the muffler on this project also caused one of the intermediate pipes to snap; I used some products to buy me some time.

The purchase of bolt extractor for $30 or so is highly wasteful if you never use the set again; in my case I had no other option and was able to remove the stubborn 17mm stripped bolt; also used lubricants and torch on that.  I went to one mechanic who said he had none of those bolt extractors so could not help.  Unbelievable, I thought most mechanics have $10K or more in diverse tools.  My modus operandi has been sharing what I have as much as possible, so to have to buy single use tools strikes me as wasteful.  

I understand your perspective, but consider it valid only if you have the ability to predict the future.  My view is predicated on your having no way of knowing - today - if or how many times in the future you (or someone you know) will need that extractor.  Of course, if you do know that, and with certainty, please PM me, as I have some lottery tickets to buy.

Otherwise, consider it an investment in future time, money, and hassle saved when the time comes that you need it again.  Us tool queens are the way we are because past experience has informed us that the time will come, and when it does, we're strapped.

Edited by jonathan909
  • Like 1

we never turn down an opportunity to buy new tools here, LOL and we have used that Irwin set many, many times since purchasing it. 

like recently, needed a special thin wrench to get the clutch fan off the Dodge pickup to change the water pump. a standard wrench would not fit in the space allowed and still be able to turn it. other half bought a set of these special wrenches

will we ever use that set again?? maybe, maybe not.. but if we do ever need it, it will be there and we wont have to waste time tracking one (or a set) down, waste fuel going to get it (them) and the job will be done that much quicker.

but to each their own i guess.. oh, and I can pretty much guarantee you that you would get charged a lot more than 30 bucks to pay someone else to do it.

• Like 3