Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to do with my xt

Localun

Hey folks. I am thinking about selling or trading my 88 xt non turbo part time 4wd. It has two owners including myself and 192k miles. I daily drove it for the longest time and now the cv axles are gone (as they do on this platform:banghead:). I have quite a few parts including headlights, front bumper, little odds and ends, passenger window etc. Fenders are rusty but what can you do its an xt. Does anyone have any idea on what I should be asking price-wise for it? Is this something to hang on to? Thoughts? Thank you all!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, idosubaru said:

Sell it before it gets rustier. 

I’m always interested in XTs…auto or manual, post a picture, does it run, what state are you in?

I'm in Wyoming. It's a 5spd manual and runs excellent, I have upwards of a grand in spare parts to go along with it (can't post a pic right now poor internet at work)

On 9/28/2021 at 10:39 AM, Localun said:

I daily drove it for the longest time and now the cv axles are gone (as they do on this platform:banghead:).

I'm used to cars with a driveshaft, but CV axles wearing out isn't just a Subaru issue.

16 hours ago, el_freddo said:

CV shafts aren’t an issue - same as L series so parts are still available. 

Best of luck with the sale! 

Cheers 

Bennie

I can vouch for this, I have one waiting to go in. I've read people on here have done this job on the side of the road in 20 minutes. 

I've also read you can redo your Subaru OEM axles. Seems to me that if you have axles that are getting bad and you never changed them and the guy before you never changed them, you're somewhat ahead of the game by having OEM axles to rework.

32 minutes ago, Localun said:

It's a 5spd manual and runs excellent, I

I'd give putting in the axles a shot. If it runs great and you get it on the road again, what do you really have to lose? Sounds to me like it's cheap, reliable transportation that probably gets decent mileage. Not a bad thing to have with $4 gallon gas.

Edited by subaru1988

2 hours ago, subaru1988 said:

I'm used to cars with a driveshaft, but CV axles wearing out isn't just a Subaru issue.

I can vouch for this, I have one waiting to go in. I've read people on here have done this job on the side of the road in 20 minutes. 

I've also read you can redo your Subaru OEM axles. Seems to me that if you have axles that are getting bad and you never changed them and the guy before you never changed them, you're somewhat ahead of the game by having OEM axles to rework.

I'd give putting in the axles a shot. If it runs great and you get it on the road again, what do you really have to lose? Sounds to me like it's cheap, reliable transportation that probably gets decent mileage. Not a bad thing to have with $4 gallon gas.

This is all facts. The cv axles aren't the reason I'm considering selling it. I love the car alot, it's so unique in its own way. I just don't have a need for it anymore. I'm still very much on the fence with keeping or getting rid of it.