Ultimate Subaru Message Board

why do you think you need to replace the rotors?

are they damaged? out of spec? warped?

a small lip of crud around the outside is honestly quite normal.. as long as the braking surface of the rotor is in good condition, and within spec (thickness) there is no need to replace them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

yeah, the minimum thickness is probably stameped on the rotor's edge or near the middle. Rule of thumb, if that 'lip'/'ridge' at the edge is 1 mm (think CD, 18ga wire, .040", or maybe dime thickness), on inside and outside, you are at the minimum.

at least 1mm

thanks for the reference

15 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

yeah, the minimum thickness is probably stamped on the rotor's edge or near the middle. Rule of thumb, if that 'lip'/'ridge' at the edge is 1 mm (think CD, 18ga wire, .040", or maybe dime thickness), on inside and outside, you are at the minimum.

i don't know where you came up with this, but imho, it is nonsense. You may not have rust issues down there in TX, but in the northern climes, we do, and rust causes expansion of metal... I have had more than 1mm of "lip" on rotors but they were still well within spec.

there is only one way to know thickness, and that is to measure, with the proper tools.

I always buy AutoZone pads, for the warranty.

I've used a couple sets of the Duralast Gold rotors, which have a zinc-based coating. I found that to flake off very easily (it's designed to, as they coat the entire rotor and let the pads wear the coating off on the friction surface). Many of the standard Duralast rotors have a coating on them, now. I haven't tried them, but might be worth it.

We buy a lot of O'reilly's Brake Best Select rotors at work, those have what looks like a nice coating on them. Just had a set installed on my mom's 2012 Impreza....I guess time will tell how they hold up.

I bought a set of Durago coated rotors online several years ago for our Outback. I found that they left too much metal exposed for the friction surface, and I immediately began to get a ring of rust there, which crept under the coating.

Aftermarket rotor prices seem to have doubled in the last couple years. Price out OE rotors for your application. They will be more, but they might be competitive, and they will be better.

On 10/7/2021 at 7:52 PM, ocei77 said:

Generally the thickness is stamped on the inside of the rotor, IIRC it is 22mm.

O.

22mm i believe is the minimum thickness... at least that is what the FSM says for my 2002 Forester, with similar specs for a 16" wheeled 2006 Outback... the 17" wheeled version has slightly larger specs, so I would suggest checking the FSM for your vehicle

per the 2002 Forester FSM...

Standard value - 24mm (0.945in)

Service limit - 22mm (0.866in)

• Like 1