Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What holds the fake vent grill on?

I’m thinking there’s a couple or so press in anchors there too. Use a flat blade like a putty knife and be gentle. 

Been a while since I’ve owned one. 

Check around and maybe there’s a factory parts catalog online that’ll show you. I don’t have mine handy. 

Ok I have the Brat parts manual here.

Pretty sure I’ve used up my picture/data allotment but will attempt a pics later. 

It shows 4 screws with 4 screw grommets as they are called.

No other clips shown so pardon my earlier post. 

Screws p/n 0453 04205

Grommet p/n 7910 33030

and they call that sucker an Air Vent Grill. Enjoy ! 

I have removed these in the past, twice, left and right. I see the two screws, but also see that the chrome surround trim is also integral. Like you, I sort of think it should just come off after the two screws, unless someone bonded with some gooey stuff? Not a heat gun, but maybe hair dryer to warm things up a bit. From the look of the snow, maybe iced together ?

That's an old picture, but the cold weather will be coming soon to Minnesota. That's why I wanted to fix the "air vent grill" before I put the Brat away for the winter. I only see two screws though, are the other two inside?

I really do not recall screws from the inside securing this vent... Moosens, do you have the parts catalogue in electronic form ? To share ? I imagine someone must have it in emailable size like 40,000kb EA82 one floating about. Absolutely awesome to refer to a parts cat diagram !

Last time I tried to post a FB link it asked you to sign in. 

It’s just two screws per side. I had thought for sure that there was also a clip or two but according to the drawing and parts list it’s just two screws. 

FB is not for me but I use it to my advantage and stay the F away from the majority of that BS. Attention seekers galore. Pity seekers too, and more unhealthy comments from the crumbs of society. Sorry but that’s my opinion. 

If you dare to join FB it’s there in the USMB group. 
https://m.facebook.com/groups/UltimateSubaruMessageBoard/permalink/4492587204137074/?m_entstream_source=group&ref=bookmarks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've taken out the two screws but the vent seems to be still held in place by something in the center. I'd prefer not to have to take off the panel behind it inside since the 30 + year old plastic is brittle. Pressing on the vent there seems to be something solid in the center unlike the rest which deforms easily. If there is a press in fastener there I'm going to try prying it out with a thin screwdriver.

I see what you see. Oh, Moosens, thanks, no E-form - yet , hee hee . I just took my two outer screws out to have a squiz. Yep, something rather centrally is retaining this, and it looks like the screw boss for a screw from the other side. If you are not in a rush, I can have a quick look for my spare..if I can, to pic its other side

11 hours ago, el_freddo said:

What’s the pineapple for Steppy??

hah ! Partly to indicate origin of photo, that it is not lifted from elsewhere on the 'net, partly to indicate a RHD component warning and a scaling for screw head size and a little to show off our polymer ! Gees, 33 years old now , the plastic money, started off with a mostly uncirculated $10

• Haha 1