Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 EJ251 replacement block. Also seized motor, how to remove torque converter?

What cars/engines have a donor ej251 block? Are there other ej25's with identical blocks?

Bought a 99 forester with a hole in the block and a seized motor. I have pulled the engine, removed the heads. Its looking like im going to have to split the block just to get the torque converter back. 

Might just get a used 2.0L.

Also, the torque converter pump extension thing has fallen into the transmission. So I have to figure out how to get that out.

Drill the TC bolts out to remove TC from engine.  No need to split block though with a hole you can bash it all apart if you want and can get it to separate and turn over  

Lift transmission from the rear and tilt the front down at as steep of an angle as you can. Hang that thing nearly upside down if you have an engine lift and don’t let the tc tube hit you in the face.  10x easier than fishing it out. 

Edited by idosubaru

I had this happen to me, the crank would not turn in either direction, I ended up splitting the case. If I recall correctly I could get to two of the flex plate bolts. Some people have suggested its easier cut the case with a sawsall to gain access to the other two bolts, the case is already unusable.