Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question regarding engine swap for a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback

Hello, I've lurked often on this forum, reading advice and instructions on Subaru repairs and really appreciate the info. In my amateur ignorance, I was looking for advice on an engine swap for a 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback. I had an unfortunate incident in the middle of no where and my engine overheated busting a head gasket and it's simply cheaper and faster for me to drop a new engine in instead of getting into the gasket, re-machining it etc. I've been researching engines and I know this year of the Legacy Outback 1999 has I believe the EJ25 2.5L DOHC engine? I'm looking at replacing it with this:EJ202 2.0L SOHC engine, an EJ202 2.0L SOHC engine. Will this drop in fine? Will there be any hang-ups I need to be aware? I'm sourcing this out to my mechanic so before I commit financially and time-wise I want to make sure I'm making the right decision. Thank you kindly all you wiser and more experienced heads for your help!

Edited by Njclark7

I've been very happy with the 95 2.2 swaps I've done.

www.car-part.com still shows some low mile engines.  96-98 2.2 will work but require a single port y pipe.  Watch for EGR configuration for plug and play the 95 2.2 with matching ERG is great.