Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EZ30D torque sequence updated?

Hello, first time post- had to post here as the engine thread is locked- I was refered over by subaruoutback.org guys as I am ready to put my 2001 EZ30D back together but have found that there are 2 torque sequence floating around and I want to make sure I follow the correct one. My 2001 FSM shows this: INSTALLATION S143093A11 1) Install cylinder head and gaskets on cylinder block. CAUTION: Use new cylinder head gaskets. Be careful not to scratch the mating surface of cylinder block and oil pump. 2) Tighten cylinder head bolts. (1) Coat the washers and threaded parts of the cylinder head bolts with engine oil. (2) Install the cylinder head on the cylinder block and tighten the bolts in the numerical order shown in the figure to a tightening torque of 20 N·m (2.0 kgf-m, 14 ft-lb). (3) Tighten the bolts in the numerical order shown in the figure to a tightening torque of 50 N·m (5.1 kgf-m, 37 ft-lb). (4) Loosen all the bolts in 2 stages, 180° at a time, in the reverse order of tightening. (5) Tighten the bolts in the numerical order shown in the figure to a tightening torque of 25 N·m (2.5 kgf-m, 18 ft-lb). (6) Tighten the bolts in the numerical order shown in the figure to a tightening torque of 25 N·m (2.5 kgf-m, 18 ft-lb). (7) Tighten all the bolts 90° in the numerical order shown in the figure. (8) Tighten the (1) to (4) bolts 90° again in the numerical order shown in the figure. (9) Tighten the (5) to (8) bolts 45° again in the numerical order shown in the figure. 

But check this out, pause the video at 21:05 this is very different than my 2001 FSM EZ30 head gaskets - Day 9 | Ep.65 - YouTube  Did subaru update the torque to avoid future gasket failures, or is this only for the slighly updated EZ30 that has multi exahust ports? Mine is the 2001 with a single exahust port and no variable valve timeing. 

Just want to make sure I follow the latest and best torque / angle sequence to get the most out of my rebuilt engine. 

Thanks in advance guys- Joe

Edited by jrm

16 hours ago, jrm said:

My 2001 FSM shows this: INSTALLATION S143093A11 1) Install cylinder head and gaskets on cylinder block. CAUTION: Use new cylinder head gaskets. Be careful not to scratch the mating surface of cylinder block and oil pump. 2) Tighten cylinder head bolts. (1) Coat the washers and threaded parts of the cylinder head bolts with engine oil. (2) Install the cylinder head on the cylinder block and tighten the bolts in the numerical order shown in the figure to a tightening torque of 20 N·m (2.0 kgf-m, 14 ft-lb). (3) Tighten the bolts in the numerical order shown in the figure to a tightening torque of 50 N·m (5.1 kgf-m, 37 ft-lb). (4) Loosen all the bolts in 2 stages, 180° at a time, in the reverse order of tightening. (5) Tighten the bolts in the numerical order shown in the figure to a tightening torque of 25 N·m (2.5 kgf-m, 18 ft-lb). (6) Tighten the bolts in the numerical order shown in the figure to a tightening torque of 25 N·m (2.5 kgf-m, 18 ft-lb).

I'm paying attention because I have to do a couple of these (both 2001) in the coming weeks/months (it'll be my first go at the EZ30s as well, but I've done a bunch of EJ22s and EJ25s to date).  Where did this FSM you're quoting come from?  Because it doesn't make any sense for steps 5 and 6 to both be tightening the same bolts to the same torque spec.  This is sanity-check material and reeks of an error that was corrected in later versions of the manual, not an actual change to the torquing procedure.

(7) Tighten all the bolts 90° in the numerical order shown in the figure. (8) Tighten the (1) to (4) bolts 90° again in the numerical order shown in the figure. (9) Tighten the (5) to (8) bolts 45° again in the numerical order shown in the figure. 

But check this out, pause the video at 21:05 this is very different than my 2001 FSM EZ30 head gaskets - Day 9 | Ep.65 - YouTube  Did subaru update the torque to avoid future gasket failures, or is this only for the slighly updated EZ30 that has multi exahust ports? Mine is the 2001 with a single exahust port and no variable valve timeing.

Yeah, I'll bet the one shown in the video is the corrected version, because the difference between the inner and corner bolt torques is consistent with the EJ25s as well.  That'd be my take on it, anyway.

(Memo to GD:  Yes, I know, we've had that conversation a couple of times.)

Edited by jonathan909
  • Thanks 1

I posted this question in alot of FB groups as well- was contacted by a few who confirm that the steps in my FSM are indeed correct and that the video is the EZ30R with dffernt heads thus why the steps are differnt. Our best guess in why doing 18 twice is subaru is doubble checking the starting point of every bolt as the gaskets compress.  2 People said that they got alot of movement on a few bolts on the 2nd go around of 18 ftlb..... 

Very interesting.

So you have the EZ30D (aka Mk I if wikipedia is to be believed, with single exhaust port and nonvariable valve timing), and your FSM with the weird torque-twice-to-the-same-spec procedure is correct.

And the EZ30R (aka Mk II) has the the triple exhaust ports and variable timing and lift, and the screenshot you took is correct for that one.

Did I get that right?

• Like 1

It is not uncommon to go back and do the same sequence a second or even third time. This ensures that bolts earlier in the sequence are brought up to the full specified torque when bolts later in the sequence may have caused gasket crush, etc that resulted in the earlier bolts being under torqued.

In the strictest sense it's not a mistake as it will not result in an incorrect assembly. And we don't know if it was intentional or not. I would just do as the manual states. 

GD