Ultimate Subaru Message Board

04 Manual Trans Shift boot attachment?

can someone please help me out with how the shifter boot attaches to the trim plate??

the "new" 2004 Forester (manual trans) has the lower part of the shift boot just flopping around loose and it is driving me crazy, LOL

the boot itself is in very good condition, but is not attached the trim plate around the shifter at all. This is what I need help with.. HOW is it supposed to be attached? from the top? from underneath? with clips? screws? how??

yeah, i saw that one, which is what prompted the question...

the way the thing is right now, it is all entirely above the plastic trim..

and messing around with it this evening, i think it does snap in from underneath... will futz with it more later

It could be plastic moulded/welded to the underside of the trim - you know the trick, plastic tab through a metal bracket, heat and pressure applied to the plastic tab to melt it and make it hold the metal bracket in place. 

Someone may have forced it in the past for whatever reason and busted the plastic melted tab pieces. 

Pull it out and have a look would be the easiest way to find out - I understand the want for information before you dive into it. 

Cheers 

Bennie

the boot itself has a flat plastic ring attached on the inside of the fabric...

but yeah, after futzing around with it a little yesterday evening, i think it does snap in from underneath.. and for some reason it ended up above where it should be... possibly a bushing replacement? i dunno..

will futz with it a little more this afternoon i think.. gonna have to pop the trim plate up and see if I can snap it in the rest of the way.. have it about 2/3rds right now, but didnt want to pull too much on the fabric and tear it, lol

ok, meant to update this a few days ago, but other issues have taken priority (health related, not car related, lol - and no, not covid)

anyway, i can confirm the boot DOES just snap in from below the plastic surround... I did not even have to pull that trim off.. just angled the bottom of the boot down into the hole, lined it all up and gently pulled up on the fabric around the edges, and "snap" she just popped into place!! yay!

• Like 2