Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat brake calipers

Looking for a new/remanufactured set of calipers for my ‘85 Brat. Every source I’ve tried is saying out of stock, as is the supplier.  Does anyone have a source for them? Also, what would be the correct part number of the aftermarket source you may have?

Not far from you in Scranton or thereabouts is Carl Porter. He’s like I was in that he’s gathering NOS and mostly has 80’s parts. 

Find him easier on FB in the Subaru groups like “4x140 or GTFO” , USMB , And Vintage Subaru Parts etc , and another one too - brain farting ...

I think he’s here too but not too often. 

Don’t think so. 

They’ll be like any other cam type caliper. I did mine on the L series in a car park before a 4wd trip. Took an hour or two all up from memory: 

img7044e.jpg

Basically pull them apart, clean up any rust or dirt build up, grease the new square edge O rings (with brake fluid from memory), refit pistons and dust covers. You can try filling the caliper with brake fluid to reduce the amount of time and effort required to bleed the brakes once it’s all fitted back as it should be. 

The important bit is that your pistons and cylinder walls aren’t pitted. From memory the piston sides are chromed and you want to avoid pitting on them, but you can get away with some or minor pitting. The cylinder wall can’t have any pitting otherwise the seal will be damaged. This is the reason why you should replace your dust boots if they’re ever torn! 

I hope that helps. 

Cheers

Bennie