Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2013 Impreza AC Not Kicking On?

I'm a new member and new to this forum, thank you for accepting me. I bought a used 2013 Impreza with 120k miles at an auction here in Phoenix and it's a great car, nice body, nice interior and it runs great except for the AC, it does not work. The AC compressor doesn't even kick on. After searching online the AC relay was the #1 suspect but I replaced it and nothing. Another thing is the blower motor/fan inside the car does not blow and the light on the AC control knob on the dash does not light up when pushed, somebody said the blower resistor is bad and preventing the blower fan from blowing but if that's true would it stop the AC compressor from working? I'm thinking not but Its fall here in Phx and it still gets hot during the day so any knowledgeable or experienced responses is most definitely appreciated. 

380-3807494_broken-car-cartoon-gif-hd-png-download.png

7 hours ago, Savatreatabvr said:

Sure but I prefer to do the work myself. Has anyone heard of jump starting the compressor by removing the AC relay and placing a paper clip or jumper of some sort into the socket?

just no.. not how you do things.

Here.. Factory Service Manual is available for download.. get it, use it.  http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Impreza/2013/

there should be troubleshooting info included in it.

well, I bought manifold gauges and sometimes now get a 'loaner' vacuum pump from the parts house to work on a/c but, really, I sorta regret the expense and hassle compared to a GOOD a/c shop. They have sniffers, vac pumps that aren't worn-out, UV dye/lights, know places locally that can build new hoses, etc.

read here;

watch some auto a/c youtube videos to see what's up. Subaru a/c is not really special or unique in anyway so, almost any medium/small car a/c will be similar.

The system has a low pressure cut-out switch to protect the compressor in case of complete refrigerant loss - since all the oil could be lost as well -  and you probably have lost enough refrigerant to trigger that.

On 11/2/2021 at 2:27 AM, heartless said:

just no.. not how you do things.

Here.. Factory Service Manual is available for download.. get it, use it.  http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Impreza/2013/

there should be troubleshooting info included in it.

Awesome service manual, unfortunately I can only read English service manuals.  

7 hours ago, Savatreatabvr said:

Awesome service manual, unfortunately I can only read English service manuals.  

don't know what you were looking at, or if you even actually looked.. but the manual pages are in English, and there is a whole section devoted to the HVAC system.

I was told this story by a friend whose assistant was sitting next to her on an airplane.

Not quite understanding how the audio channel selector worked on the armrest, she summoned the flight attendant to complain that there must have been a mistake as she was given a Spanish speaking seat.

:rolleyes:

Edited by brus brother

On 11/6/2021 at 4:00 AM, heartless said:

don't know what you were looking at, or if you even actually looked.. but the manual pages are in English, and there is a whole section devoted to the HVAC system.

Well folks against my better judgement I broke down and took the impreza to the dealership. they said the noisy engine was because the belt tensioner was going out and the AC knob/switch is the reason the AC didn't work. So me second guessing my own experience working on cars throughout the years cost me $1450 to replace $120 worth of parts. Live and learn!