Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is the EA82 brake calipers compatible with the EA81 ?

Are the EA82 brake calipers compatible with the EA81 since I can't find any calipers online for my 84 wagon. I need the rubber boot those goes to the e-brake mechanism. Or maybe I should order the later calipers and exchange all the rubber parts to my wagon calipers.   

Sadly, the EA82 calipers are not a direct swap as the anchor bolts are about 15mm longer centre to centre measure. They use a bigger surface area pad too - which would be nice in the earlier models. The rebuild kits may be the same, or at least the rubber boot over the park brake bit. Have you looked at rockauto ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Step-a-toe said:

Sadly, the EA82 calipers are not a direct swap as the anchor bolts are about 15mm longer centre to centre measure. They use a bigger surface area pad too - which would be nice in the earlier models. The rebuild kits may be the same, or at least the rubber boot over the park brake bit. Have you looked at rockauto ?

Yes I've look at Rock Auto and does not have boot. Only the caliper pistón rebuild kit. The hunting begins on those rubber boots.

13 hours ago, silverhelme said:

Theoretically you can install the complete knuckle from an ea82 with brakes with some research into tie rod ends seals etc. I know the strut, ball joint and a few other things are the same. 

Practically, it has been done before with complaints of too much \o---o/  going on in the front wheel camber, due to the two model knuckles differing in angles when see sat on a bench, side by side. It has been done with other secret adjustments gone on somewhere.

I got my kits from Subaru with orangey pink grease about 5 years ago. The kits looked like sat for 20 years :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 9:47 AM, silverhelme said:

Theoretically you can install the complete knuckle from an ea82 with brakes with some research into tie rod ends seals etc. I know the strut, ball joint and a few other things are the same. 

I have both knuckles, hubs and rotors from late eighties DL / GL if anyone wants to go that route.  Clean W Texas / southern NM metal.

Off car and ready to ship.    Rotors are turned.    

On 11/5/2021 at 2:47 AM, silverhelme said:

same for ball joint, I reckon similar on the strut I found. I had to reduce the diameter of the bit that drops into the knuckle by about 1 mm of aftermarket EA82 strut into EA81 knuckle