Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So ill try again since no one answered me last time

Not sure what you mean but I don’t think there are any “code readers” that “change settings”. (see my assumptions below)

If you mean altering tables and settings like I’m thinking thats usually done via Rom Raider and other PC based OBDII cable adapter software.

I’m assuming by code reader you mean OBDII scanners that read and log data. And I’m assuming “change settings” means you want to alter the tables in the controllers.  

• Like 2

From when I worked at a Subaru Service center, options as you have above were only available with the proper module for that specific year/model with the Subaru Select tool. TOO expensive for me as I continue to do work in my garage/driveway.

Best tool I have is an Autel MK906 I paid almost a grand for. Works for every car I service so far. I can operate solenoids and check that they DO work, do cam advances and check the sensor reads properly, etc. Reset and IF manufacturer allow you, change oil change frequency to any presets they have programmed.

But Vehicle/User Specific options you pasted above, I only saw with the Subaru SST.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ferret54 said:

From when I worked at a Subaru Service center, options as you have above were only available with the proper module for that specific year/model with the Subaru Select tool. TOO expensive for me as I continue to do work in my garage/driveway.

Best tool I have is an Autel MK906 I paid almost a grand for. Works for every car I service so far. I can operate solenoids and check that they DO work, do cam advances and check the sensor reads properly, etc. Reset and IF manufacturer allow you, change oil change frequency to any presets they have programmed.

But Vehicle/User Specific options you pasted above, I only saw with the Subaru SST.

That is most excellent to be aware of!  Thanks for posting. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nipper said:

There are may code readers, but a lot of them dont play well with subaru.

Im not looking to hack it, im looking for a really good diagnostic tool for the entre car.

dealer-settings-png.10190

Ah I see what you mean. Those would be nice for the owner to manually toggle.   Those aren’t accessible by OBD scanners. 

I wonder where those tables and features are stored?  Are they in a dedicated controller?

• Like 1

These options are probably in the BCM ( Body Control Module ). Most over the counter OBDII tools are programmed for the ECU,ECM,PCM Engine modules, Transmission Modules, Airbag Module and ABS module. Other modules on the CAN buss usually require vehicle specific tools.

There are so many indivual controller on the CAN buss these days. You can't even change a radio out for one with better sound/options since it also is on the CAN buss and can control other options from there.

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2021 at 7:12 AM, Ferret54 said:

These options are probably in the BCM ( Body Control Module ). Most over the counter OBDII tools are programmed for the ECU,ECM,PCM Engine modules, Transmission Modules, Airbag Module and ABS module. Other modules on the CAN buss usually require vehicle specific tools.

There are so many indivual controller on the CAN buss these days. You can't even change a radio out for one with better sound/options since it also is on the CAN buss and can control other options from there.

I wish the radio had more volume.