Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru’s First Global All-Electric Vehicle SOLTERRA Makes World Debut

I'm excited for this especially after Subaru's announcement last year that they wouldn't be coming out with an electric vehicle for more than 5 years.

I love that Toyota and Subaru are working together; my two favorite Japanese Auto Makers.

Although I'm holding off until they come out with an Electric Outback; maybe in a few years.

On 11/13/2021 at 3:33 AM, laegion said:

I'm excited for this especially after Subaru's announcement last year that they wouldn't be coming out with an electric vehicle for more than 5 years.

I love that Toyota and Subaru are working together; my two favorite Japanese Auto Makers.

Although I'm holding off until they come out with an Electric Outback; maybe in a few years.

The e-boxer is available in Netherlands. I think it is not different from the crosstrek hybrid. And I have seen some people mounting an electric motor instead of the engine.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I didn't realize the news of the electric Solterra was released late last year. Interesting the promo indicates it'll have Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive. I don't know a lot about all electric vehicles, but I thought each wheel typically has a motor. If the Solterra will have Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive, I'm thinking maybe then a central motor driving the existing (and modified) AWD system?.

We went hiking yesterday and saw a couple on a bench way out on the trail just chillin' reading books. In the parking lot was one other vehicle, a Nissan Leaf, probably theirs  One photo in the Solterra promo made me think of the setting - it appears to be parked in a hiking trail lot. While we're starting to see charging stations in areas like shopping malls, parking lots on the college campus where I work - a sensible place would be a park/hiking trail lot. But that's likely very impractical for the electric provider. Being the old hippie that I am I like the back to nature, minimal environmental impact philosophy. EVs are part of that. It's just not very practical yet. Maybe it's coming - I saw a job posting by a solar company that's also getting into EV charging stations. Then again, there's studies that reveal the total environmental impact of electric vehicle charging. There is some of course - and concerns if EVs became commonplace what it would do to the electricity grid. 

Edited by Stelcom66

1 hour ago, Stelcom66 said:

I didn't realize the news of the electric Solterra was released late last year. Interesting the promo indicates it'll have Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive. I don't know a lot about all electric vehicles, but I thought each wheel typically has a motor. If the Solterra will have Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive, I'm thinking maybe then a central motor driving the existing (and modified) AWD system?.

We went hiking yesterday and saw a couple on a bench way out on the trail just chillin' reading books. In the parking lot was one other vehicle, a Nissan Leaf, probably theirs  One photo in the Solterra promo made me think of the setting - it appears to parked in a hiking trail lot. While we're starting to see charging stations in areas like shopping malls, parking lots on the college campus where I work - a sensible place would be a park/hiking trail lot. But that's likely very impractical for the electric provider. Being the old hippie that I am I like the back to nature, minimal environmental impact philosophy. EVs are part of that. It's just not very practical yet. Maybe it's coming - I saw a job posting by a solar company that's also getting into EV charging stations. Then again, there's studies that reveal the total environmental impact of electric vehicle charging. There is some of course - and concerns if EVs became commonplace what it would do to the electricity grid. 

The Solterra like other EVs that have AWD has two motors that are where you would typically find the differentials, each driving one set of wheels with a gear reduction box.  It is not a rebadged Toyota as stated in a previous post by another user. It was developed jointly by Subaru and Toyota (who both own a large stake in the other company). Subaru designed most of the chassis from what I understand. The Subaru does have some differences also. It's as capable off-road as a Forester, or the Rav4 that it shares a familiar body shape with. I personally hate the dash setup though, and I'll wait until they have a fully electric outback since the solterra is shorter like the Forester.
It depends on how you drive, whether electric is practical. If one just commutes less than 100 miles a day and charges their car at home and maybe also at work then something like a Leaf would work perfectly.
Most of the newer EVs coming out have comparable full-charge mileage to the average gas vehicle...and most people don't drive over 200miles in one day unless they are going on a trip. I wouldn't assert they are more practical than a gas car at this point for long trips but any other situation I would argue that they are. Increases in charging infrastructure and development of integrated solar panels will help change that in the near future though.
The other factor I'd argue on is that if you charge at home over night on a 220v outlet you'll pay a lot less to operate for the same amount of miles than a gas vehicle. There is a lot less loss of energy from poor efficiency in the way an electric vehicle gets and uses it's power than how a gas engine car does; especially if your electricity is from renewables like it is here in the PNW. That's not even getting into the far lower maintenance costs since basically it just needs suspension work, tires, steering, and probably regular coolant flushes. So many less consumables and work necessary over the life of an electric car.

On 4/24/2022 at 3:02 PM, laegion said:

The Solterra like other EVs that have AWD has two motors that are where you would typically find the differentials, each driving one set of wheels with a gear reduction box....

Interesting, so it sounds like a competent vehicle here in New England in the winter. A new vehicle isn't in my budget - but I like reading about the evolving technology of hybrid or electric only vehicles, It makes sense maintenance costs would be lower - no head gaskets or CVTs to worry about! Overall though, in many ways (not considering the computer intelligence) an EV is less complex than a conventionally powered vehicle. I would have assumed no coolant in an EV, but I guess it is necessary based on typical EV maintenance items you mentioned. Even a computer CPU has cooling fans. I've heard of liquid cooling in large data centers. Hopefully many other areas are moving toward renewable energy. 

I didn't see any interior photos in the ad I saw for the Solterra. IMO it's a good looking SUV. (is it an SUV?). Especially the way fuel prices are now, I can see how charging an EV at home will cost a lot less than a gasoline vehicle,

• Like 1

Well it has Xmode and all the other driving modes that you'd find in any other modern Subaru, I think it's a little different because some of the tech is designed by Toyota, like the infotainment system and screen are all all Toyota...but that seems like a good thing since from what I've seen, all the newer Subaru infotainment systems are kinda sluggish.

Yes...so much less to worry about. Most EV's use coolant to maintain battery temperature. I'm sure some of them cool the Electronic Speed Controller that way also, since they can get very warm.

It has a very similar shape to the newer Rav4. That's technically a Crossover Suv.

I also think the dash is pretty weird. I guess being a non conventional vehicle (at this point) it is going to look at least somewhat different inside and out. On the NBC national news this evening there was store very much related to this discussion - how EV charging stations are going to become commonplace, and eventually gas and diesel fuel stations will not be so common. I think eventually will be a very long time though.