Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What exactly is GM's interest in subaru?

Guest jclay

I've heard conflicting opinions on GM's interest in subaru, with someone telling me that subie is owned by GM, and others saying that GM has only an interest in Fuji Heavy Industries. Can anybody clarify? More importantly, do GM employee vouchers (for discounts) work for subie? If the answer is yes, picture me grinning from ear to ear. If no...

I've heard conflicting opinions on GM's interest in subaru, with someone telling me that subie is owned by GM, and others saying that GM has only an interest in Fuji Heavy Industries. Can anybody clarify? More importantly, do GM employee vouchers (for discounts) work for subie? If the answer is yes, picture me grinning from ear to ear. If no...

As I recall from the last thread I read on this subject over at NASIOC, GM has stakes in Subaru only, not FHI. I'm guessing that since it's not an official GM brand employee discounts don't apply.

Still, you could get a discount on that new Saabaru. :D

GM bought a 20% stake in Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru's parent company). From what I had read, GMs primary interest was in Subaru's AWD technology. That said, I've already seen references to two "cross-breed" cars come into being since then (the Saab 9-2 is being released, which essentially has a WRX drivetrain...and in one country a "Chevy Forester" is being sold which appears to simply be a rebadged Subaru Forester).

How much more will come of this alliance is anyone's guess. :-\

GM bought a 20% stake in Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru's parent company). From what I had read, GMs primary interest was in Subaru's AWD technology. That said, I've already seen references to two "cross-breed" cars come into being since then (the Saab 9-2 is being released, which essentially has a WRX drivetrain...and in one country a "Chevy Forester" is being sold which appears to simply be a rebadged Subaru Forester).

How much more will come of this alliance is anyone's guess. :-\

My bad, it is indeed a stake in all of FHI, says so on their website.

The Chevy Forester was for India, that Bowtie just looks odd sitting there in it's grille. biz1.jpg

Huh, Saab. Good name for a car that breaks down on a regular basis. Owned one once, a SAAB 99. Always had something wrong with it. That said I have a few good things to say before the final slam. It was the quietest car I ever owned when riding down the highway. Fairly nimble etc.

Now the final slam: My relatives in Sweden will not even consider a Saab unless it’s an airplane. They buy Volvo and that is it. They check the serial number on all new cars to make sure its a Tues, Wed, Thurs production model. They told me they do this because of the extreme amount of slothness due to weekend hangovers on Monday and the Friday syndrome, "get it done and lets start to party for the weekend on Friday night".

Hey, if you can't beat them... buy them out! That seems to be the American Auto Industry's motto these days. Remember back in the 80's when American car companies were producing crap and the japanese companies were kicking their butts by producing quality efficient affordable cars? :brow: