Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats the Best Swap option for my 1998 Legacy?

Yoyota

8 hours ago, Yoyota said:

I have a 1998 legacy with a EJ 25 DOHC N/A engine. I'm having trouble sourcing a JDM engine of the same year. Whats my best option for different engines/year swapping?

Any suggestions welcome.

What’s your issue with the other thread you asked the same question?  Is your only option to have an engine shipped?

search car-part.com with the various engines and models listed below.  

don’t search online - call the JDM suppliers and ask.  These older engines aren’t seen for sale much any more. That doesn’t mean they don’t exist but you might find jt hard to find one.  Check eBay too if you haven’t.  

In US terms a 1995-1998 EJ22 or a 1996-1998 EJ25 can be plug and play compatible.  search for all of those  

or a 1999 legacy/outback 2.5 (but not a 99 Forster or Imp 2.5 - different electronics and incompatible)  search for those  

Get a 00-04 2.5 block and bolt your heads and intake to it. Search for those engines close to you  

If you can cross the border PM me an offer and buy a 125k miles (200 km) 98 EJ25 with new headgaskets

expand your search options. 

search local classifieds that sell used car parts 

You posted this once already you should probably clarify what in that thread didn’t help or work or make sense because I think I just repeated a bunch of things  

Keep in mind “best” is subjective and there are so many options and variables dependent on your skill set, your mechanics skill set snd price tag and your limited parts availability that ambiguous questions are hard to answer. And add to that any potential Canadian year model engine differences