Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 outback wagon with torque bind

Hello all,

I have a customers 05 outback 2.5 engine and the 4eat trans. (TZ1B7LCAXA) aprox 197K miles 

Customer brought the car in complaining of the classic torque bind while doing tight cornering. 

I had him install the FWD fuse prior to bringing it in to see if that eliminated the bind... it did. 

So my question is : if the the fuse works then the Duty C solenoid is working and the clutches are working ... correct? 

What should i attack next? 

I saw/read an old thread from 10 years ago and it looks like changing the fluid and filter are step one then possibly swapping the tail cone..

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/123390-valve-body-replacement-to-solve-torque-bind

Thanks for any help i havent dealt with the bind on the 05 and up cars .

Craig 

2 hours ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

is the car new to him? any chance the tires are mismatched or a prev. owner has swapped trans or rear diff to non-matching final drive?

I wouldn't rule out trans fluid bad/contaminated so, I agree with that as step one. I THINK you can use the European Valvoline MaxLife fluid.

No he has had the car for several years. Ill check the tires/tread depth here soon. 

I am just a little confused it seems like if the solenoid works with the fuse then it should work fine under normal operation. 

Ill figure it out by process of elimination . I have a low milage 05 forester trans with the same setup that i know didnt bind. so i can swap stuff from that if it gets to that point. 

Im going to try fluid and filter first then additive and new gear oil in rear diff next then attack the tail cone clutches.( swap in used unit ) 

Thanks 

When I worked at the dealership, we frequently handed out the gasket for the duty C solenoid, a little pipe in the tailhousing, as well as the clutches, housing gasket and output seal. I don't remember exactly the symptoms, but I know the fluid from the solenoid and clutches could leak down and cause some symptoms (usually eventually worn clutches).

If you want it done right the first time. Likely that whole list from Subaru, as well as some new HP fluid and OEM filter.

18 hours ago, Numbchux said:

When I worked at the dealership, we frequently handed out the gasket for the duty C solenoid, a little pipe in the tailhousing, as well as the clutches, housing gasket and output seal. I don't remember exactly the symptoms, but I know the fluid from the solenoid and clutches could leak down and cause some symptoms (usually eventually worn clutches).

If you want it done right the first time. Likely that whole list from Subaru, as well as some new HP fluid and OEM filter.

Thanks for that... the clutches are next on my list after fluid changes.

The tires are matching but the rears are to the were indicators and the fronts are like 1/16 to 1/8 above. 

So im going to also swap a different tires too