Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Things to look for in a 2000 Legacy!

Hello all,

I am relatively new to the world of cars and I am in the market for a new one. There is a very nice 2000 Subaru Legacy B4 for sale and I am interested in it. My main question was is there anything I should particularly look for that normally goes wrong with this year/model of Subaru. I am an Automotive Service Technician Student in my first year so I will have plenty of time to work on it my self and do most repairs my self as I make my way through my course.

it has 160k km on it and is priced at 4,400 CAD.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

83FE3A4A-89DB-4DB2-9CFC-13CFD72565F5.jpeg

688DFB34-8FB3-4E0A-93B3-E0B7680E6E0A.jpeg

289ACFBF-D6CC-470E-A1AE-A2E4FC4EF667.jpeg

43194553-4B85-46F9-9394-F612F73B7A12.jpeg

hopefully, all the tires are the same brand/model/size. Do some tight circles on dry pavement to see if you feel torque bind.

generally, the older a car is, the more important its past care and current condition than its brand or model. The more owners it's had, the more chance something was abused.

You might look at the 'sticky' threads here; https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/gen-2-2000-2004.110/

• Like 1

"I am relatively new to the world of cars and I am in the market for a new one".

Although you're  an 'Automotive Service Technician Student', I'd still leave you this warning:

Please don't buy a used Subaru Turbocharged car...until you've read about all their issues.

Canada may have more options for JDM-based vehicles, so I can't comment directly,  but note that you may have more issues getting parts.

would have to agree with wtdash's statement above - Please don't buy a used Subaru Turbocharged car...until you've read about all their issues.

Personally, i would not go for a turbo model... most have been driven hard and put away wet.. far too many headaches for me..

look for a nice clean, naturally aspirated model... they are out there.