Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was getting ready for a road trip last month and about 45 minutes after I left our caravan stopped for a photo opp.  When we got back on the road I noticed what I thought might be rod knock, but it would only make noise under load, and was related to wheel speed.  I did some research, checked my wheel bearings and axles, and they checked out fine (although the DOJs for the front diff were loose, I could wiggle them by hand).

So I jacked up the front of the car, put the fuse in the FWD slot and put the transmission in gear.  The ratcheting sound doesn't seem to be coming from the bellhousing or front diff, but sounds like it's coming from the bowels of the transmission, above the oil pan.

Is my transmission trash?  Is this a common failure?  The Forester has almost 250k miles on it.  If the trans *IS* toast, what's the preferred method of finding a healthy replacement? @GeneralDisorder @idosubaru

Edited by carfreak85

3 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

is the sound about 4 times wheel rotation? - that could be a u-joint.

Hmmm, hard to say.  In the video, the transmission is in FWD mode, so the driveline is out of the equation.  I think it's a 1:1 ratio, or close to that, but I'll have to try it again tomorrow.

• Like 1

Went to the junkyard yesterday and found a Forester with a Subaru Remanufactured transmission (tag glued to the top of the bellhousing).  Are there any parts I should replace or inspect prior to installing this transmission (besides the fluid filter)?  Input shaft seal, O-ring on the input shaft?

On 12/5/2021 at 11:29 AM, carfreak85 said:

Went to the junkyard yesterday and found a Forester with a Subaru Remanufactured transmission (tag glued to the top of the bellhousing).  Are there any parts I should replace or inspect prior to installing this transmission (besides the fluid filter)?  Input shaft seal, O-ring on the input shaft?

I'd do exactly what you said - the fluid filter, ATF hoses, and do a visual inspection on the side and rear seals.  

Why was it in the yard, could you tell?

The donor looked pretty clean, no obvious accident damage.  I have to guess the HGs/radiator went bad and the owner chose to replace it due to an inflated quote for the work?  We ponied up for the extra 12-month warranty, so if this reman transmission craps out I'll have another roll of the dice.  Thankfully this isn't a primary vehicle.

Will be interesting to see what you find in the old trans. Sounds like front diff maybe but you say it doesn't sound like it's coming from there. Anything on the magnets? 

250k is a good run. 

Personally would have opted for low mileage used. Have seen several scenarios where Subaru Reman transmissions have had quality control problems. I have a customer that the dealer installed 5 of them before they got a "good" one and 80k later it's making quite a bit of metal - more than I like to see anyway. Still going but did require a new transfer clutch and both drums as it was binding badly (deep grooves in the drums). Should not be the case for a Reman transmission with 80k on it. 

GD

• Like 2

Not really interested in tearing into the original transmission, I'd rather get my core refunded and they don't accept disassembled components.  Might zip off the oil pan for a peek, but probably won't. :lol:

If this reman transmission fails, or makes me nervous at all during the next 12 months, I've got the warranty to go back and try again.  Sounded good on the initial test drive back to my place.  It did slip once pulling onto the main, steep, uphill road, but that was before the ATF was topped off and it hasn't done it again since.  Only have maybe 8 miles on the thing because we were out of town and I didn't want the test drive to leave us stranded 150 miles from home.

Updates to come once we've got some more road miles.

• Like 2

OK, took the Forester to our local ski hill and it shifts and moves the car just fine.  The MPT clutch pack is just as FWD-y as the last transmission, so the basket is obviously worn.  I'd like to address that at some point, but will probably hold off until Spring, since this is our ski car/dog taxi.

But hey, at least it's back on the road!

Edited by carfreak85
  • Like 1