Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T Oil Pump Gasket Question

Trying to verify whether there is a oring or gasket between the pump main body and the plate on my EA81T oil pump. The Turbo wagon that I am trying to resurrect has been off the road for 25 years. The orings on the outside of the body that fits in the crankcase bore were super hard and brittle. I have tried removing the 2 phillips screws that hold the plate over gears on the pump but even with heat and PBblaster they are not moving and the phillips heads are starting to strip. If I need to take them out they will probably need to be drilled out. However if there is no oring or gasket to replace in there I am not sure whether I want risk cracking the pump case by continuing to attempt to remove the two screws.

20211212_094250.jpg

My Turbo pump parts diagram shows no gasket or oring, but other EA81 pump disassembly diagrams show an oring. Is a EA81T specific oil pump the same as a Carbed EA81 oil pump just with the addition of the cylinderical extension which feeds the turbo and oil cooler in between main pump body and the oil filter?

20211212_094658.jpg

Hi,  i recently resealed my 1.8 pump,, kit# X2421aa000, was a good # and it had a o ring in between the plate and front body. the screws came out but was very tight. my 84 parts book has the pic you posted. i'm pretty sure the turbo is same as std 1.8 , part# for the oring is 8069 49030, size is 49.7x 3.5 , it was included in the kit. also another oring 8069 15050,  15.5x 1.5 is in there. it is behind the plate too, and a spring and ball.. your pic does show the extra oring. but my book also does not show it on the turbo page,, i think it's in there.

Edited by Rupart
Mistake

Don't use an impact driver on the oil pump, you'll likely break it, then you're engine will be dead in the water.  Find an appropriately sized phillips SOCKET, and use a breaker bar to apply steady torque while pushing the bit down into the fastener.  Maybe use a dab of valve lapping compound to add bite, since you're starting to strip out the fastener.

I use impact bits on these babies as the bits I have are 8mm hex and that fits nicely in an 8mm long ring spanner that gives a lot of control to undo as you lean into the task. No gasket to be found between the two from memory yet it is worth getting in there to clean and inspect

You need to shock the screws. Hit them with a punch before you break them loose with a Philips..... it's an art form dealing with stuck fasteners. One thing you need to learn is that things like PB Blaster, etc are not going to work on stuff that's stuck like this. It won't penetrate where you need it to go. A solid blow to the head of the bolt with a punch will break the thread tension by compressing and expanding the bolt slightly. 

GD

• Like 2