Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Clutch D/R 5 speed Grinding sound FWD

1988 GL , 1.8

Ok. Put in a new clutch, spark plugs, cap, rotors, pads, front CV axles and lower ball joints. Have car on a lift. When I start the car in neutral (manual trans) and it’s in FWD there is a hellaciously weird sound, almost sounds like grinding to me and when I grab gears axels are not spinning. When I shift into 4-hi the sound goes away ( although when I put it in 1st gear etc no axels spin). When I shift into 4-lo the hellacious sound is still gone and when I grab gears all axels/wheels spin. 

none of this was happening before. Car drove great other than third gear slipping hence the clutch job. I’m really at a loss here. 

Edited by Clarktar
Added CV axles to replacement parts

Just an attempt to be more clear. It grinds when in FWD and not gears seem to engage (1st-5th). In 4 hi there is no grinding but will not grab any gears (1st-5th). In 4low there is no grinding and it grabs gears (my wheels spin and spin faster as I move up gears). 

this is all being done on a lift. 

Ok. Fairly certain something is good ng on with linkage. I slammed the 4wd selector lever down hard in FWD and the noise went away and I was able to grab gears no problem. After a few minutes noise came back. 

But I don't see any way to adjust linkage....

Found a bolt that went through a small slotted hole holding up the linkage. I was able to loosen bolt and get about 1/8th inch movement of entire linkage assembly. Everything shifts as it should now! Time to go jump it. 

Edited by Clarktar
  • Like 1