Ultimate Subaru Message Board

may be a while before I can get under it. bad weather moving in and it's tricky during the week keeping my grandson....Hoping it's that return line, that looks like diy-possible. If it's valve/cam cover gaskets, or oil piping or similar, good excuse to get the car into the shop. KInda wouldn't mind getting a clutch put in, air cut valve cover plates put on and that system pulled off, maybe some other work if they pull the engine. GD has mentioned turbo intake hoses....

Ugh, everything in that area that could cause this involves some wrenching I'm reluctant to do.Been reading about the oil drain hose. Youtube videos and forum posts all seem to indicate dropping the exhaust/downpipe at minimum - often turbo and intercooler removal...... Could be a $15 turbo oil drain hose that requires 4-6 hours of parts-pulling.

Kinda leaning towards getting it to a shop now. Maybe next week. I have some money I can spend on it. If some of the work it needs overlaps labor, I'm sure it would feel better than me doing that hose or a copper washer , just to have the engine pulled for something else....

After I get some of the prev. maintenance and repairs done, I have some cosmetic issues to attack. I know the car isn't 'worth' a lot, but I can't really see replacing it with anything as fun.

yeah, ran across a post where a guy said he did it 'clean'. Replies were all like "you must have little girl arms", etc.

but, I suppose it could be valve cover gasket, or half-moon plug leaking, etc.

both gd and nvu mentioned that drain hose early in the thread so, given how rough Texas weather and turbo heat are on polymers....I'm betting that's it. My trip to CoSpgs may have pushed it over the edge.

weird in some pics how there is only 1 clamp shown.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

• 2 months later...

got the car back from the shop a coupla weeks ago. All the way home it was smoking, kinda tailed-off in the last coupla miles, since then when i drive, seems like the smoking is gone so, I guess it was VC gaskets. wherever they leak into must collect a lot of oil. The shop got a lot of things taken care of for me and I don't regret taking it in. They put in an ACT HD clutch and I'm still getting used to that. They too k the bumper off and only had to fix some leaking hose to get the ww spraying again.  I still have 1-2 mechanical/physical things to work on (and some cosmetic stuff) and I can see some time coming up in a few weeks to do it too.

That shop was crowded. When I went to pick the car up, they had to move a 700 hp beast out of the way!

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1