Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Green Machine

KiwiGL

So I am now the proud owner of 3 old Subarus... Not sure how this happened as I really wasn't planning on buying another at this point, but I couldn't pass up this vehicle.

It's a 1980, NZ new, very last of the first gen Leone. 4 door sedan.

1600 DL but has been upgraded with the GL dash with tachometer. 

Needs a bit of panel and paint work but all there and all straight. Was a Wanaka car from Central Otago so about as good as they get rust wise. Has some awesome patina.

Also came with a trove of parts including essentially two complete engines disassembled, two parts gearboxes and a brand new clutch.

Unfortunately the driver's door handle is broken and door is stuck shut. Need to pull the door trim. Also need to fix the headlight high/low beam switch for the WOF.

Does anyone know if Datsun 510 external handles fit? They look pretty similar. Otherwise I've heard gen 2 handles fit.

Enough talking, here's the pics

X9jH0AE.jpeg

K9rPPE8.jpeg

zLoNIhb.jpeg

bPm5IxW.jpeg

Wi950R4.jpeg

YITdjT1.jpeg

3PyLboT.jpeg

• Like 2

I love the strut bar setup! 

I actually like the shape of that one, maybe I’ve come round on them. The back end looks better than the EA81 and EA82 sedan rear ends I reckon. 

So what’s the plan then, tidy up and rego it? Do you have a cheaper club rego scheme over there for car enthusiasts? We have one here, some ppl unfortunately abuse the system. We can only hope they’re busted doing it. 

Anyway, cool find and it must have been priced just right to leverage the money from your wallet! 

And I love it how you’re working out how you have three of these now :D :lol: 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 11:18 AM, el_freddo said:

I love the strut bar setup! 

I actually like the shape of that one, maybe I’ve come round on them. The back end looks better than the EA81 and EA82 sedan rear ends I reckon. 

So what’s the plan then, tidy up and rego it? Do you have a cheaper club rego scheme over there for car enthusiasts? We have one here, some ppl unfortunately abuse the system. We can only hope they’re busted doing it. 

Anyway, cool find and it must have been priced just right to leverage the money from your wallet! 

And I love it how you’re working out how you have three of these now :D :lol: 

Cheers 

Bennie

Agree, I'm not usually a huge fan of the Fugly models but there's something about this one that just looks right with the twin headlights, bumper delete, green colour and the mags.

Yes will tidy it up, get it WOFed, and take it to a few classic car events.

We have classic rego in NZ for vehicles over 40 yrs so it's super cheap to register.

Haha yeah I have 4 cars now... 3 old subies and my Pathfinder 4wd for club trips.

Yeah we have four cars in the family too. Expensive hobby! 

We have Ruby Scoo, my L series off-roader, doesn’t get used much now our family expanded; Redback Brumby and our two DiD Gen3 Pajero/Montero/Shoguns as the family buses. Both lifted, main bus setup more for off-roading/touring... and I have an RS turbo Gen1 Liberty/Legacy in the build that will be put to club rego once it’s done (whenever that is! It’s a complete fixer-upper-er!). 

I’d like to take one something like that now that I’ve seen yours, but I’d also like a classic round nose mini panelvan, moke or to get my old Holden Torana on club rego... 

One thing at a time though, lots of projects to keep me busy in the mean time! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 2:20 PM, el_freddo said:

Yeah we have four cars in the family too. Expensive hobby! 

We have Ruby Scoo, my L series off-roader, doesn’t get used much now our family expanded; Redback Brumby and our two DiD Gen3 Pajero/Montero/Shoguns as the family buses. Both lifted, main bus setup more for off-roading/touring... and I have an RS turbo Gen1 Liberty/Legacy in the build that will be put to club rego once it’s done (whenever that is! It’s a complete fixer-upper-er!). 

I’d like to take one something like that now that I’ve seen yours, but I’d also like a classic round nose mini panelvan, moke or to get my old Holden Torana on club rego... 

One thing at a time though, lots of projects to keep me busy in the mean time! 

Cheers 

Bennie

A Torana! Lucky man! I'm guessing it's not an XU1 lol.

Yes, the old subies are fun but safe and modern cars are what you need for family life. My partner runs an Outlander PHEV which we've put 10,000 kms on since August...

On 12/28/2021 at 9:43 AM, 1 Lucky Texan said:

I wish I was driving my WRX more, really only 'need' 1 car. Kinda wanting to add a third vehicle, electric neighborhood. maybe an eMoke.

Long-term I'd love to convert one of the subies to electric. Probably the next one to blow a motor haha

in 'the old days' electric conversions often used jet engine starter motors. I dunno if they were getting them surplus or ????? They were about 20hp I think which should be good.

You only need about a dozen hp to move along at a decent clip. the xtra HP is for acceleration. A physics consultant where I worked (Serge Scherbatskoy) drove an old chevy pickup truck. He had a pendulum gadget that would 'capture' a mass at it's extreme deflection. Took it in the truck, did some runs in 2 directions, let off the gas at 55mph. After some calculations.... It only took 12hp to maintain 55mph. Electric motors give you full torque from 0 rpm so, 20hp electric would be a decent choice.

Or, maybe scavenge from a wrecked Nissan Leaf or Tesla? Some guy here in the States is using wrecked Tesla gear to electrify other chassis.

• Like 2

Tesla swap would be mint! I’ve seen a doco about Amon in the states that do it all sorts of old and high end vehicles. Insane amount of torque on hand. 

From what they were saying the circuitry needs some trickery to manage the batteries or something. 

It was an interesting viewing. Sadly I can’t remember the name of the program, but the host was driving a silver bug converted with what I think was a Tesla unit via the gearbox for an authentic driving experience. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thought this Sedan looked Familiar...

Here are photos of it, circa November 2010!

MBW8pmx.jpg

jEYtule.jpg

SxnIqzt.jpg

TOXcEXJ.jpg

The owner at the time had posted photos here, on USMB; they were pleased about the fitment of the Cupholder their Wife had made them for the car.
Cool to see it still surviving

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 12:49 PM, 6 Star said:

Thought this Sedan looked Familiar...

Here are photos of it, circa November 2010!

MBW8pmx.jpg

jEYtule.jpg

SxnIqzt.jpg

TOXcEXJ.jpg

The owner at the time had posted photos here, on USMB; they were pleased about the fitment of the Cupholder their Wife had made them for the car.
Cool to see it still surviving

That's awesome! Have you got a link to the thread?

Looks like it has been through a few owners since then and possibly hasn't been as loved. The beautiful wooden dash fascia has been replaced with green plastic unfortunately. The stereo is gone. Dash cluster is now upgraded with tachometer. Suspension also looks to have been lowered. Rear end has been partially repainted in a poor colour match green.

For interest, a door handle from a second gen Brumby fits perfectly. Took a gamble there as first gen bits are near impossible to find anymore.

Taking it into crowesport for a WOF next week.

On 1/8/2022 at 9:57 AM, 6 Star said:

@el_freddo I found the pictures sorting through my saved Subie photos... only remember what was said in the thread off-hand... would have to search posts way back from when...

4 hours ago, KiwiGL said:

That's awesome! Have you got a link to the thread?

Looks like it has been through a few owners since then and possibly hasn't been as loved. The beautiful wooden dash fascia has been replaced with green plastic unfortunately. The stereo is gone. Dash cluster is now upgraded with tachometer. Suspension also looks to have been lowered. Rear end has been partially repainted in a poor colour match green.

For interest, a door handle from a second gen Brumby fits perfectly. Took a gamble there as first gen bits are near impossible to find anymore.

Taking it into crowesport for a WOF next week.

I'm glad you were able to sort out the handle issue. Saw your search here and the resulting "no it won't fit" responses.

Never been able to compare a 1st and 2nd Gen side by side myself so had no idea... this is good to know

Three is a lucky number, and more manageable than seven... this sedan is a survivor and in good hands once more

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

She's going well, have been driving her at least once a week on small excursions.

Picked up a few bits today from a retiring boat-builder in Rakaia who uses Subaru motors in his jet boats...

EA81S twin carb setup, recently rebuilt (to go on the EA82 in my blue wagon Gertie)

XAbOePA.jpeg

Also grabbed some high lift EJ18 cams, high compression EG33 pistons and Weber down draught manifolds to build a carby EJ22 to go in the green machine eventually... This will be paired with a FWD EJ gearbox with an STi LSD.

URkPffi.jpeg

• Like 1

Read up on fitting the EJ to these older Subaru models. I’ve heard it’s not a straight forward exercise like it is for the MY/MV and L series models. This could be for the DOHC, but I’d hate for you to get all excited for an EJ conversion only to find out it won’t fit without chassis rail mods. 

This info is from reading about a guy that shoved a WRX drivetrain into an L88 ute if I remember correctly. It was an metallic emerald green ute in Oz.

Cheers 

Bennie

On 2/16/2022 at 1:42 AM, el_freddo said:

Read up on fitting the EJ to these older Subaru models. I’ve heard it’s not a straight forward exercise like it is for the MY/MV and L series models. This could be for the DOHC, but I’d hate for you to get all excited for an EJ conversion only to find out it won’t fit without chassis rail mods. 

This info is from reading about a guy that shoved a WRX drivetrain into an L88 ute if I remember correctly. It was an metallic emerald green ute in Oz.

Cheers 

Bennie

Yes, have been chatting with local Subaru gurus about it and the early SOHC EJ22 will fit a late Fugly, it is reportedly tight though. Later SOHC motors and anything DOHC doesn't fit.

• 4 months later...

Picking up a SOHC EJ22 with matching FWD 5 speed out of an early Legacy tomorrow evening. Gearbox should be compatible with stock mounts and axles if I've done my reading right. Engine should also bolt onto factory crossmember and early SOHC heads should clear the chassis rails.

I will build the motor with the high compression pistons and high lift cams before putting it in so not happening any time soon. Will also have to chat with a certifying engineer to get it all signed off, may have to upgrade brakes as it's going from 1600 to 2200 cc.

Not too sure if I will run it with MPFI or twin carbs yet, I'll be grabbing ECU etc in case I go EFI but I'm tempted to twin carb it using the factory mechanical secondary Hitachis posted above... However these are jetted for an 1800 EA81S so not too sure if they'll work well for the EJ22.

Otherwise I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a pair of IDF Weber carbs, missed out on a set last week dammit.

Here's a pic of the garage as we all love picsrscpYH2.jpeg

• Like 3

EJ fwd 5spd has the 23 spline diff stubs so you’ve got that sorted if the fugly uses the same ;) 

I can’t say if that box will bolt in and I’ve only heard that the EJ22E fits between the chassis rail - never seen it or done it myself. 

Sounds like it’ll be a fun project. Don’t forget if you go carbs you’ll need a dizzy run off the back of the RHS camshaft. There’s a plate that you remove to expose the cam with the slot for a dizzy. 

Do a search about the dizzy type ppl have used and the adaptor/mount plate they made to fit it all together. You could find just about any dizzy from a late 80’s/early 90’s OHC straight four cylinder (east west orientation engine) that might do the job if you go that way. 

Cheers 

Bennie

On 7/14/2022 at 11:31 PM, el_freddo said:

EJ fwd 5spd has the 23 spline diff stubs so you’ve got that sorted if the fugly uses the same ;) 

I can’t say if that box will bolt in and I’ve only heard that the EJ22E fits between the chassis rail - never seen it or done it myself. 

Sounds like it’ll be a fun project. Don’t forget if you go carbs you’ll need a dizzy run off the back of the RHS camshaft. There’s a plate that you remove to expose the cam with the slot for a dizzy. 

Do a search about the dizzy type ppl have used and the adaptor/mount plate they made to fit it all together. You could find just about any dizzy from a late 80’s/early 90’s OHC straight four cylinder (east west orientation engine) that might do the job if you go that way. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Cheers Bennie, yes I've got a lead on an early carbureted EJ18 Legacy with the part time 4wd box too, so I'll grab that and use the Carby and dizzy on this one, and the dual range box behind my other EJ22 in the blue one (to keep it all EJ clutch setup). Build parts are slowly being worked out!

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 9:25 PM, KiwiGL said:

Picking up a SOHC EJ22 with matching FWD 5 speed out of an early Legacy tomorrow evening. Gearbox should be compatible with stock mounts and axles if I've done my reading right. Engine should also bolt onto factory crossmember and early SOHC heads should clear the chassis rails.

I will build the motor with the high compression pistons and high lift cams before putting it in so not happening any time soon. Will also have to chat with a certifying engineer to get it all signed off, may have to upgrade brakes as it's going from 1600 to 2200 cc.

Not too sure if I will run it with MPFI or twin carbs yet, I'll be grabbing ECU etc in case I go EFI but I'm tempted to twin carb it using the factory mechanical secondary Hitachis posted above... However these are jetted for an 1800 EA81S so not too sure if they'll work well for the EJ22.

Otherwise I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a pair of IDF Weber carbs, missed out on a set last week dammit.

Here's a pic of the garage as we all love picsrscpYH2.jpeg

I was having a look online for webers the other day and brand new might be a better option than 2nd hand and needing a rebuild… I’m sure you have looked but throwing it out there in case you haven’t 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 2:46 PM, 573417h said:

I was having a look online for webers the other day and brand new might be a better option than 2nd hand and needing a rebuild… I’m sure you have looked but throwing it out there in case you haven’t 

Yes was having a look on AliExpress of all places and can get a new set of 45 mm downdraft Webers for $800!

Not sure on quality though