Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front struts

I am unable to complete my front end rebuild of my 1981 GL 4WD wagon due to not being able to source any front strut cartridges. I have googled, called the dealer, tried the big box auto parts stores and eBay. I can find bellows, mounts and springs but no cartridges. Anyone have a source? Thanks. I have even tried looking for them for a 1987 Brat. 

Subaru dealer ? I used to go in and ask for them to be ordered in - no worries at all. Still sitting on a set to go in my uncle's ute. If it helps, it takes a little work, but I fitted up the three stud L Series EA82 strut tops and used some emery paper to remove 0.25mm all around the bottom of the strut to use EA82 4WD struts out of my RXA. I also once bought little used cartridges / inserts to find out I could not install them in my 84 model and one was shot. Another white elephant I have bought off fellow enthusiasts. They went in the bin.

• Like 1

Subaru got some in about a year ago - half a dozen sets or so. They may get more eventually. Those of us that were in the know snapped up some extras. Keep checking. These were the genuine article with adjustable lower perches, etc. Or be prepared to pay a LOT for some NOS one's. I got some for a customer from a collector I know a couple years back and it was $750 for a pair of them. 

EA81's aren't viable drivers anymore. Collectibles maybe. But the availability of simple parts is very poor. They are no longer viable. 

GD