Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front Suspension Availability - 1987 Brat

So I've been tasked with assisting my less mechanically inclined friend with a complete suspension refresh on an 87 Brat GL 4-speed with dual range. From what I've gathered the Brat stayed on the "2nd gen" older chassis here in the states until it was cancelled in 1987. I've also determined that no one is currently making a front strut for the 2nd gen chassis as of this year. After all my searching I've only really found people converting to the 3rd gen suspension setup. So what have the 2nd gen Leone owners been doing about this?

My concerns on converting would be finding a donor. Not many old Subarus sitting out in West Texas.

Edited by PrinterTechnician

it may be as useful as Aussies looking up US based parts providers, to you. But, have a look at our retailer of suspension stuff Pedders, they may do a listing, and may just ship to the US

Use 1984 as a search year often helps disregard GEN3 EA82 (some markets still EA71) L Series 1985 to 1994 items that generally won't fit

32 minutes ago, Step-a-toe said:

it may be as useful as Aussies looking up US based parts providers, to you. But, have a look at our retailer of suspension stuff Pedders, they may do a listing, and may just ship to the US

Use 1984 as a search year often helps disregard GEN3 EA82 (some markets still EA71) L Series 1985 to 1994 items that generally won't fit

I found an eBay listing here that explicitly says it won't ship to the US. Pedders didn't seem to have any fronts available on their AU site. I guess I could ask about international shipping.

@PrinterTechnician have you been searching for the parts with "1987" in your search? That will bring up parts for a 3rd gen, which isn't what you are looking for.

Do as Step-a-toe says and use either 1982, 1983, or 1984 in your search. Those are years where there was zero generation crossover (in the US) and will net you more positive results.

Assuming you already checked rock-auto and all the major chain stores; VatoZone, O'Highlys, CRAPA, etc... you can also check Speed Shops near you that deal in Imports. Around me are several "Autosport Import" parts shops.

Best of luck in your repair work

Edited by 6 Star

Also, look into using the 3rd gen Suspension on the Brat... I'm not well versed in the conversion... but would guess that the setup would have to be something like this;

EA81 Tophats

EA82 strut and spring

EA82 Knuckles, etc

EA82 Axles

Not sure if EA82 axles fit to the EA81 trans... might have to make hybrid axles or convert the Brat to 5 Speed DualRange...

Anyway... its always simpler to swap stock with stock... stay all EA81 would be my vote

2 hours ago, 6 Star said:

@PrinterTechnician have you been searching for the parts with "1987" in your search? That will bring up parts for a 3rd gen, which isn't what you are looking for.

Do as Step-a-toe says and use either 1982, 1983, or 1984 in your search. Those are years where there was zero generation crossover (in the US) and will net you more positive results.

Assuming you already checked rock-auto and all the major chain stores; VatoZone, O'Highlys, CRAPA, etc... you can also check Speed Shops near you that deal in Imports. Around me are several "Autosport Import" parts shops.

with front struts, use 1984. If you use earlier years, they ran inserts or cartridges fitted into the main assembly of a strut. I looked on Pedders site and it was not a good look. Some items at least gave a heads up that the deletion of said part was pending. Just when these things are going up in demand and new owners prepared to spend on them !!

Also, look into using the 3rd gen Suspension on the Brat... I'm not well versed in the conversion... but would guess that the setup would have to be something like this;

EA81 Tophats

EA82 strut and spring

EA82 Knuckles, etc

EA82 Axles

Not sure if EA82 axles fit to the EA81 trans... might have to make hybrid axles or convert the Brat to 5 Speed DualRange...

Anyway... its always simpler to swap stock with stock... stay all EA81 would be my vote

EA82 front CV shafts are about 40mm longer than EA81 for starters.

Top hats - EA82 use a bearing that has larger ID than that of the bush in EA81 top hats - 

9 minutes ago, Step-a-toe said:

with front struts, use 1984. If you use earlier years, they ran inserts or cartridges fitted into the main assembly of a strut. I looked on Pedders site and it was not a good look. Some items at least gave a heads up that the deletion of said part was pending. Just when these things are going up in demand and new owners prepared to spend on them !! 

I've been using 1984 in my searches. No major chain, rockauto, or any other online retailer has anything for the front. I checked some specialty shops with an online storefront (mostly out of California) all with their sketchy 90s looking websites. Only place that listed them available was 2kracing.com. When I called them the guy was quick to tell me "yeah all the Subaru brat guys keep calling but we haven't had any in some time" so that was a dead end. The last company that appears to have produced them in the US was KYB under part# 234028.

I really don't think an EA82 suspension conversion is in the cards. I'm going to seriously consider trying to get some shipped from Australia.

Subaru brought some in about 1 to 2 years ago. Half a dozen sets IIRC. These are the factory style with the lower perch height adjusters. Those of us that knew about it snapped them up. Don't know if such an occurrence will happen again - seems highly unlikely. Not sure if I will use the set I have for my hatch or just convert to a better front suspension system when I go to the Toyota transmission and EJ22...... I would sell the set I have (new in Subaru boxes - never opened) but I want $1500 + shipping for the pair.

GD

all I used to convert was the EA82 front strut complete with the coil spring and the EA82 strut top mount.

if you observe the jelly bean shape washers atop your strut towers - I made some more to loose fit on top of the new holes made to take the three stud EA82 mounts.

I used an old three stud mount that had a missing or broken stud, removed two and used the remaining stud to bolt up to the front hole of the 2 hole strut tower - from under neath I think, in order to line up the new holes by using removed stud holes as the guide.

I retained EA81 knuckles, CV shafts and brakes. I think I used L Series brake hoses as well. Little work around their retainers due to me not working out that whoever fitted the new Sachs? to my turbo EA82 sedan, had fitted left to right, and right to left despite idiot proof diagram fitment stickers !

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Subaru brought some in about 1 to 2 years ago. Half a dozen sets IIRC. These are the factory style with the lower perch height adjusters. Those of us that knew about it snapped them up. Don't know if such an occurrence will happen again - seems highly unlikely. Not sure if I will use the set I have for my hatch or just convert to a better front suspension system when I go to the Toyota transmission and EJ22...... I would sell the set I have (new in Subaru boxes - never opened) but I want $1500 + shipping for the pair.

GD

721032064 the ones you are talking about GD ?

These most recent one's that Subaru brought in a couple years ago did come in boxes, yes. IIRC they are left and right because of the brake line mounting brackets and possibly the location of the tab that bolts to the knuckle. 

And yes they are basically unobtainable. Just like EA81/EA82 oil pumps. I have a friend with some parts stashed and recently someone wanted an EA81 oil pump. He quoted them $500 and I was like - why so cheap? I remember buying them from the dealer 15 years ago for $65. 

Such is the way it goes. These vehicles are now collectibles. They are not viable drivers unless the entire drivetrain is updated and even then if you need trim or glass - you'll be off the road for a long stretch trying to find it. 

And people wonder why I drive old Chevy's and military vehicles. :rolleyes:

GD

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

GD

I would too if I had the Space and Coin for Gas... love the SBC and the Ford Inline-6 300

I debated selling or giving away parts in the past... heck 5 or 6 years ago I threw away parts that are probably Gold now...

Glad I've hoarded what I have now

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

These most recent one's that Subaru brought in a couple years ago did come in boxes, yes. IIRC they are left and right because of the brake line mounting brackets and possibly the location of the tab that bolts to the knuckle. 

And yes they are basically unobtainable. Just like EA81/EA82 oil pumps. I have a friend with some parts stashed and recently someone wanted an EA81 oil pump. He quoted them $500 and I was like - why so cheap? I remember buying them from the dealer 15 years ago for $65. 

Such is the way it goes. These vehicles are now collectibles. They are not viable drivers unless the entire drivetrain is updated and even then if you need trim or glass - you'll be off the road for a long stretch trying to find it. 

GD

The part in the pic above has a bracket that does brake line for left and right

Three BRATS still available in Bent, NM on Las Cruces NM craigslist.  Were there a week or so ago, with a few general pictures.  Package deal - believe it was $1400 for THREE mid eighties BRATS.  Should be clean metal on those vehicles.  Dave S  las Cruces  

Edited by newmexguy

• 1 month later...

I considered a package forwarding service from Australia. But that would cost about $550USD for just the struts and then another $500USD+ in shipping to the US. My friend is not interested in doing the EA82 suspension conversion.

The easiest option would be knowing someone in Australia who could ship the parts to the US for a reasonable price. Or convincing a US vendor that there is a market for these. Which I doubt would be possible with how few of these are rolling around.

There is no “reasonable” shipping from Australia. It’s WAY cheaper to send stuff in from overseas, but sending it out/back to the point of origin would cost easily double. It’s a joke. 

Pack and Send might be the best option but could be quite slow. Someone would have to go and investigate. 

Cheers 

Bennie