Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Legacy Outback camper project EMERGENCY GEAR RECOMMENDATIONS

Hey all!!

This is a continuation of my 1999 Outback camper project.

I want to raise the overall ground clearance by 1"-1.5" inches, whether that is achieved by Tires, struts, springs or spacers im not sure yet and recommendations are welcome.

I also want to increase approach and departure angles by adding tube bumpers and a winch down the road.

My goal is to have this vehicle be ready for everything, to me this means that i want some practical back up gear to repair things that break mechanically, Extra coolant, extra motor oil, full size spare, portable battery jumper the list goes on.

I want to know what are the most common failure points when offroading this old wagon? I want to have a back up tucked away just in case I ever break a tie rod or control arm or if something goes wrong in the engine.

I dont have a good idea of what would be the most common failure points are and id rather not carry a backup of every piece that would go wrong but if i can have some practical backups to anticipate breaks it would be nice that if i ever snap a "this" or break a "that" i can replace it with an onboard back up parts that i have stowed away.

please let me know what are things i can practically keep onboard for that inevitable "rainy" day where I bent a control arm or something...

Spare Tire (also fix-a-flat).

Water (for vehicle and for people). Always carry at least a gallon of water in addition to what you think you need for drinking. 

40 weight oil. Don't bother with coolant - you can use water. Same with brake fluid - if you have to crimp off a hard line to a wheel with a malfunction you can fill the system with water (or urine if things go that sideways) and limp home - you also have the hand brake to assist in limp mode. You can put 40 weight oil in the engine, in the transmission or power steering (temporary - flush it out with ATF when you get home). Engine, transmission, and brakes are all you need. 

Starter (because automatic - manual cars can be bump or tow started). 

Alternator 

Coil pack

Front axle

Radiator hoses, heater core hose. 

Spare accessory belts. Especially the alternator/PS belt. If you are really on top of it carry a belt that can run the alt by itself - in case the PS pump grenades. 

Fuses and basic wiring kit with wire, terminals, crimpers, etc. 

Basic tool kit. Small 3/8" socket set. 10, 12, 14, 17, 19mm wrenches. pliers (multi-tool). Hammer (or back end of your axe). 

32mm socket, 1/2" breaker bar, pry bar, and 3/16" pin punch - this is to change that front axle if required.

Bailing wire, duct tape, and aircraft safety wire w/pliers. 

Inspect and tighten all your chassis components after each outing. Things like ball joints, tie rod ends, and control arms are not generally a failure point on mildly lifted Subaru's - inspect them and replace at signs of wear or damage. Sh1t happens and you'll need to always have a backup plan for recovery (friends with BIG vehicles, AAA membership, etc). There will always be obstacles and circumstances where a 2" lifted Subaru is not going to go and may need assistance. Here's a hilarious video of a jeep being pulled through 18" of snow like a toboggan by an LMTV:

If you are going out alone then definitely let several friends and relatives know the general area you are going to, and when to expect your return. Also you should carry the 10 C's of survival (highly recommend Andrew's YouTube channel - subscribe to it):

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Spare Tire (also fix-a-flat).

Water (for vehicle and for people). Always carry at least a gallon of water in addition to what you think you need for drinking. 

40 weight oil. Don't bother with coolant - you can use water. Same with brake fluid - if you have to crimp off a hard line to a wheel with a malfunction you can fill the system with water (or urine if things go that sideways) and limp home - you also have the hand brake to assist in limp mode. You can put 40 weight oil in the engine, in the transmission or power steering (temporary - flush it out with ATF when you get home). Engine, transmission, and brakes are all you need. 

Starter (because automatic - manual cars can be bump or tow started). 

Alternator 

Coil pack

Front axle

Radiator hoses, heater core hose. 

Spare accessory belts. Especially the alternator/PS belt. If you are really on top of it carry a belt that can run the alt by itself - in case the PS pump grenades. 

Fuses and basic wiring kit with wire, terminals, crimpers, etc. 

Basic tool kit. Small 3/8" socket set. 10, 12, 14, 17, 19mm wrenches. pliers (multi-tool). Hammer (or back end of your axe). 

32mm socket, 1/2" breaker bar, pry bar, and 3/16" pin punch - this is to change that front axle if required.

Bailing wire, duct tape, and aircraft safety wire w/pliers. 

Inspect and tighten all your chassis components after each outing. Things like ball joints, tie rod ends, and control arms are not generally a failure point on mildly lifted Subaru's - inspect them and replace at signs of wear or damage. Sh1t happens and you'll need to always have a backup plan for recovery (friends with BIG vehicles, AAA membership, etc). There will always be obstacles and circumstances where a 2" lifted Subaru is not going to go and may need assistance. Here's a hilarious video of a jeep being pulled through 18" of snow like a toboggan by an LMTV:

If you are going out alone then definitely let several friends and relatives know the general area you are going to, and when to expect your return. Also you should carry the 10 C's of survival (highly recommend Andrew's YouTube channel - subscribe to it):

GD

WOW thank you so much for all the advice.

What kind of wiring kit would you recommend? im not sure what kind of "wiring kit" would be appropriate i haven't the slightest clue what wiring kit or wires to get.

aside from that you said ball joints, tie rod ends, and control arms aren't my biggest concern, you mentioned just the front axle, is that really all i would need a back up of? what about a rear axle? is there anything else that would be worth packing as a backup? I know preventative maintenance is the most important thing i can do to avoid changing a U-joint at night time, but what else is practical to have as a backup for a 1999 Legacy outback? Also what parts should i consider upgrading ahead of time?

Rear axles don't really break on any Subaru's. And a broken rear axle (as unlikely as that is) will not disable your car. The auto's are primarily front wheel drive till they sense wheel spin and by installing a fuse in the FWD holder under the hood they can be made 100% front wheel drive. The highly improbable nature of such a failure coupled with the fact that it doesn't disable the vehicle makes it a part I wouldn't waste valuable cargo space and weight on. 

U-joints are NOT field serviceable (they were designed to not be serviceable at all and Subaru will only sell you a complete driveline for about $800). But you bring up a good point - if they fail that would be a rather unfortunate problem and it certainly can/does happen. I would have the driveline preventatively rebuilt (a specialty driveline shop can install serviceable joints along with new yokes to accommodate them) with new u-joints if you are concerned. If you do have a failure though - again this falls under the rear drive category and you can revert to front wheel drive or temporarily replace the u-joint with some bailing wire and just drive really slow. 

As for wiring - if you have no idea about electrical then you may consider just leaving that to the pro's. But I would also point out that any equipment (the car being considered "equipment" for this discussion) that you plan to trust with your life in off-grid scenarios you should be as familiar with as possible. Understanding automotive electrical and how to do basic troubleshooting and repair could literally save your life one day - bouncing around off-road in a 25 year old car could easily result in a loose or damaged electrical component - at the very least some aspect of the car will become nonoperational - at the worst the car could light on fire and burn to the ground with you inside - granted that's unlikely but you could be left with the clothes on your back and a smoking pile of wreckage. You laugh but I've pulled people from burning cars due to electrical fires. It happens - and if you don't act fast you'll be watching the fire department put it out much too late to save anything. 

Something like this is probably fine for emergencies:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-86689C-Electrical-Repair-Case/dp/B008ZCEKK6

Should likely add a fire extinguisher to the list as well. 

In general you need to familiarize yourself with the form and function of this vehicle. The complaint I always had about off-roading with Subaru groups, or lifted vehicle groups in general:

If you follow me you almost certainly will eventually break something. I don't want to hear your big baby tantrum about A. How am I going to get to work - this is my daily and my only vehicle!, or B. I need help fixing it because I don't know how or don't want to get dirty. 

Invariably someone breaks their daily driver (or worse their dads/moms/sisters car) and turns out they are helpless and I get roped into fixing some junk in the mud/snow/gravel/all-of-the-above because somehow I feel bad for the poor broke moron and somewhat responsible because I encouraged their bad decisions or enabled them in some way. 

Don't be that guy. I'll find you. And I'll slap you. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

In general you need to familiarize yourself with the form and function of this vehicle. The compliant I always had about off-roading with Subaru groups, or lifted vehicle groups in general:

If you follow me you almost certainly will eventually break something. I don't want to hear your big baby tantrum about A. How am I going to get to work - this is my daily and my only vehicle!, or B. I need help fixing it because I don't know how or don't want to get dirty. 

Invariably someone breaks their daily driver (or worse their dads/moms/sisters car) and turns out they are helpless and I get roped into fixing some junk in the mud/snow/gravel/all-of-the-above because somehow I feel bad for the poor broke moron and somewhat responsible because I encouraged their bad decisions or enabled them in some way. 

Don't be that guy. I'll find you. And I'll slap you. 

GD

Haha wow thanks again for the plethora of info and advice!

I 100% plan on being an expert at anything that could go wrong with my vehicle over time, as well as having backups for most practical situations and your advice will go a long way to steer me in the right direction.

Being that this car was my fathers before he passed away it has extreme sentimental value and its my daily driver so I don't plan on being TOO stupid when off-roading, however some stupidity will inevitably cross my path by my own doing or someone else and I plan to be prepared to get out safely with my vehicle in one piece.

I cant wait to get this thing out where she belongs.... Parked by a river I just fished my dinner out of.

thank again GD!! See you on the trail!!