Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 Subaru Brumby Cassette Radio

Hello, 

I'm new to the site, I've just recently purchased a 1982 Subaru Brumby. I'm looking to put a cassette radio or just a cassette player in as it didn't come with one. 

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm big into my music and would like as good sound quality as is practical from a car. 

I'm also looking at upgrading the speakers so if anyone has any recommendations please let me know.

Cheers,

Tully

There was a factory Cassette player available as an option, as seen in the accessories here:

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/122906-the-awesome-older-generation-picture-thread/?do=findComment&comment=1037814

Otherwise there are plenty of aftermarket head units out there... I'd try to find a console in poor condition at a J/Y, etc. to modify... that way the factory radio can be reinstalled at any time.

The problem in the past was the CD players where mostly (with one exception I saw) were too deep to install in the console. To get around this thicker face plates extended the unit forward towards gear shifting knuckles, or cut out the air vent ducting behind and put the rear of the player into the air (and dust) stream. These days it is mech less as my audiophile fiend calls them - radio without CD player, but with USB / BT and plug in input aux. I have a three year old Pioneer mechless I installed that would do most people. What has improved it 200% was to plug into the aux jack , a digital DAB radio by Richter  DR10 I think it is, the size of a box of matches. It is rechargeable, has a speaker and headphones. So I run it just on the passenger floor, head phone socket has an extension ala antennae cord run up and over the rear view mirror and down into aux socket -awesome