Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Restoration Update and Part Numbers

Mostly wanted to just update anybody interested on my 83 Brat project. I just got it painted and some of the trim back on. I originally wanted a tan cream color rather than the factory "Harvest Beige" but made a last minute impulse decision to go with more of a yellow/buttermilk color. It's kind of growing on me because it catches the eye,  isn't *too* flashy, and most folks think it might be a stock color. Obviously I am not restoring it to factory original, I'm going for a daily driver that will last a while. I completely and literally scrubbed the under body, hosed it down with Rust Mort, and them covered it with truck bed liner. The bottom lips on the rocker panels were pretty beat up so I welded some angle iron to strengthen them. There were a few serious rust issues on the body but I was able to deal with them and seal both sides of the metal so I think it will last a while. Oh, and it started out in life as an automatic but I put in a 4MT dual range. It just seems wrong to have an automatic Brat, and the original transmission had issues anyway. The previous owner was kind enough to rebuild the engine but the carburetor crapped out so I put on a weber. The plan is to tow it behind my RV, so if you see a buttermilk Brat rolling down the highway behind an RV it's probably me.

The next thing to do is to refurbish the bumpers and other exterior plastic trim, and I'm debating just cleaning them up good and clear coating them or else actually painting them black with the super duper SEM stuff. One big thing I am missing is the tail gate trim, and I'm going to use aluminum door threshold (M-D Building products low dome 49") as a base for that. I've also dug up some part numbers that I think would be useful in one place:

• 791017090 - Large side trim clips. (Obtainable and fit)
  • 791017130 - Normal bed trim clips. (Obtainable and fit)
  • 791017200 - Corner bed trim clips. (Unobtainable, I rigged something from plastic push rivets)
  • 759114020 - Fender liner clips. (Haven't tried them yet)
  • 901120005 - Fender liner bolts. (Haven't tried them yet)

After that I should probably do something about the interior but I'm honestly not feeling it. The interior is definitely showing it's age but if I can't restore all of the interior I'm inclined not to do any of it. Then there are some other odds and ends, like the previous owner removed the computer so (among other things) there is a currently a button for the starter on the dash.

Finally, there are a few parts I would really like to get my hands on and I was hoping somebody could either guide me towards a part number or source:

• There are two round holes on the sides hidden by the rear bumper that need plugs. I only have one original plug.
  • There are some rubber grommets (I guess you call them) that go around the rear bumper mount arms to mostly plug the gap. The are sort of squarish, about 2 inches across. I only have one original grommet.
  • There are some rubber bumpers for the tailgate when it is closed. They are short thin rubber, sort of like weather stripping. I only have one of those.
  • There is some rubber that goes on the tailgate supports where it hinges, I assume to keep them from vibrating. They come in two pieces and I need two sets.

Also the rubber on the outside edges of the T-tops are a bit chewed up, so if anybody has any ideas what can be done about that I would appreciate it.

brat_01JAN22.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So the fender liner clips (759114020) are spot on, but the fender bolts (901120005) are completely wrong. Maybe only part numbers less than 800000000 will fit mid 80s Subarus?

Using an aluminum threshold for tailgate trim is still looking promising but I'm not done yet. If you want to try it yourself first you have to trim the length about 3/8 inch (6 mm or so for our non US friends), then cut about an inch (25mm) from the width. The hard part is working the aluminum with minimal tools because it is strong and light but relatively brittle. I ran out of time last weekend, but I'm in the middle of making two 45 degree bends lengthwise in it with a 4 inch vise and a rubber mallet. Assuming it turns out well when I get it done I'll post some pictures.

I’m yet to attempt this on my brumby. I have the original trim in the shed but it’s at that point here that someone is most likely going to nab the trim piece or the whole vehicle for it! 

Maybe that’s an over exaggeration but it’s the way I feel about it with just screws holding it in! 

Cheers 

Bennie

Cutting down and bending an aluminum door threshold resulted in a pretty good solution for tailgate trim. I ended up inserting the standard (new) plastic bed trim clips for stability, but using the screws that came with threshold and drilling new holes into the tailgate. I'm pretty sure it will take some abuse and I think it looks pretty decent. I might beat on it some more to lower it a bit, but it's good enough for now.

The next project is to replace the shift lever bushings. So far the list I have is below, and I'll report back eventually when I have them:

• 633124170 - Inner / nylon bushing. Need two.
  • 633124180 - Outer / rubber bushing. Need two.
  • 633042040 - Nylon spacer. Need one.
  • 33154GA210 - Rubber cushion. Need one.

I really need an inner rubber shifter boot and a 4SPD shifter knob, but I think they are pretty much unobtainable at this point.PXL_20220130_171911142s.jpg.47f3a2ac2845bc61a0ed748cae939019.jpg

• Like 1