Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Search for Tailgate Chrome Trim for a 2nd Gen. Brat

Hey everyone,

I've been doing some searching around online and I have been having a hard time finding the chrome trim piece that came on the tailgate of the Brats, specifically a 1982. I have every bed trim piece except for the tailgate. From what I understand, it seems like this may be a very difficult part to find much like many other Brat parts, but I figured that I'd give it a shot and post this in the case that someone who has a spare may want to sell it. 

Thank you!

The side view mirror you are looking for has a very square shape overall?

Those are more common to find, just a matter of searching on different forums where people sell old school subaru parts, CL etc...

Tailgate Chrome is definitely hard to find, have seen people get creative when it comes to it's replacement 

Have to laugh when I see this post title. Nothing wrong with it , just that we had a member here who is still around in the interwebnet thing , and that guy was asking like $1500 for that one piece. True story.

Some of us were smart and gathered NOS dealer stock years ago. And then some came along later. These recent clowns have zero respect for the typical vintage Subaru owner and are hoping only wealthy folks restore old Subarus. Best of luck to you ! 

I suggest finding some used and spending time meticulously enhancing the strip until it’s as good as your hands can make it. 

13 hours ago, 6 Star said:

The side view mirror you are looking for has a very square shape overall?

Those are more common to find, just a matter of searching on different forums where people sell old school subaru parts, CL etc...

Tailgate Chrome is definitely hard to find, have seen people get creative when it comes to it's replacement 

Yes, that's the style that I am looking for. There was another style that was more rounded without the indented area on it but that's not the style I am looking for. It's not the clearest picture, but I included one of what I am looking for here. 

Passenger Right Side View Mirror Manual Black Fits 1986 SUBARU BRAT 770030  | eBay

12 hours ago, Step-a-toe said:

a fella in the UK was producing solid GRP "copies" that would do the job and need some sort of finish of your choice to make look closer to original than nothing

That would be something I may be interested in. I'm not looking to do a 100% OEM restoration, since I already have put a Weber 32/36 on it, so this is something I would be open to. 

10 hours ago, moosens said:

Have to laugh when I see this post title. Nothing wrong with it , just that we had a member here who is still around in the interwebnet thing , and that guy was asking like $1500 for that one piece. True story.

Some of us were smart and gathered NOS dealer stock years ago. And then some came along later. These recent clowns have zero respect for the typical vintage Subaru owner and are hoping only wealthy folks restore old Subarus. Best of luck to you ! 

I suggest finding some used and spending time meticulously enhancing the strip until it’s as good as your hands can make it. 

Yeah, the gentleman I bought this Brat from told me a similar story that he found someone who had the piece for sale but wanted something in the ballpark of $1000 for it, unbelievable. I wish I could've taken advantage of gathering a bunch of NOS dealer stock back then, but I am just now getting into the vintage Subaru ownership scene as of this past summer. I am fresh out of school and still paying off student loans so paying an arm and a leg for a piece of trim is not the greatest idea right now. I did buy this vehicle knowing that there weren't going to be catalogs readily available with every part one could possibly need for an old Subi, but I suppose this could all be part of the fun of owning one. I noticed that it says you live in Bridgeport, so if you happen to have or come across anything you may want to sell, I am not too far away!

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 8:34 PM, SaltyMike said:

Hey everyone,

I've been doing some searching around online and I have been having a hard time finding the chrome trim piece that came on the tailgate of the Brats, specifically a 1982. I have every bed trim piece except for the tailgate. From what I understand, it seems like this may be a very difficult part to find much like many other Brat parts, but I figured that I'd give it a shot and post this in the case that someone who has a spare may want to sell it. 

Thank you!

Hi Mike,

I have a full set of Gen 2 bed trims in great shape.  I am actually only about an hour from you in NY.  Also have a mirror most likely. 

Have a whole parts brat behind the house Id be happy to sell you, complete with seats and T tops.

Let me know if interested.

John

Edited by Scoby4wd

2 hours ago, Scoby4wd said:

Hi Mike,

I have a full set of Gen 2 bed trims in great shape.  I am actually only about an hour from you in NY.  Also have a mirror most likely. 

Have a whole parts brat behind the house Id be happy to sell you, complete with seats and T tops.

Let me know if interested.

John

Hi John,

Yes absolutely! I will send you a message.

• Like 1

That’s an awesome offer from John! Definitely take him up on that if you can. Ppl are always looking for those jump seats and they’d be a tidy addition to your brat! We didn’t get them over here, they’re a US specific item! 

The T tops (known as fun tops from the factory) aka Targa tops are awesome too. My brumby has them and I love driving with them off. I often wonder what it would be like if I could remove/wind down the rear window at the same time B) 

Knowing that you’ll have this vehicle for some time there’s no rush to buy parts. Save your coin so you’re ready when an item unexpectedly pops up for sale ;) 

If you’re looking at keeping the EA81 keep an eye out for an oil pump in good condition - NEVER use a hammer to remove yours as they break and always remove the crank pulley to remove the oil pump. There are other NLA items that others can list off for you. Oil pump is the most obvious one that comes to mind atm.

Cheers 

Bennie

On 1/14/2022 at 11:07 AM, el_freddo said:

That’s an awesome offer from John! Definitely take him up on that if you can. Ppl are always looking for those jump seats and they’d be a tidy addition to your brat! We didn’t get them over here, they’re a US specific item! 

The T tops (known as fun tops from the factory) aka Targa tops are awesome too. My brumby has them and I love driving with them off. I often wonder what it would be like if I could remove/wind down the rear window at the same time B) 

Knowing that you’ll have this vehicle for some time there’s no rush to buy parts. Save your coin so you’re ready when an item unexpectedly pops up for sale ;) 

If you’re looking at keeping the EA81 keep an eye out for an oil pump in good condition - NEVER use a hammer to remove yours as they break and always remove the crank pulley to remove the oil pump. There are other NLA items that others can list off for you. Oil pump is the most obvious one that comes to mind atm.

Cheers 

Bennie

the safest method I have for oil pump removal is to split the cases

21 hours ago, Step-a-toe said:

the safest method I have for oil pump removal is to split the cases

I’ve never managed that in the engine bay! But I’ve removed five or so of these without any issues as described in my previous post. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1